How Ubuntu 16.04 Is Performing Compared To Five Other Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Ubuntu 16.04 Is Performing Compared To Five Other Linux Distributions

Phoronix: How Ubuntu 16.04 Is Performing Compared To Five Other Linux Distributions

As it's been a month since our last large Linux distribution comparison (a 10-way Linux distribution battle), here are some fresh benchmarks of six Linux distributions to see how their out-of-the-box performance compares. From a Core i7 Broadwell system, the updated versions of Clear Linux, Fedora 23, CentOS 7, openSUSE 42.1, Ubuntu 15.10, and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS were compared.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Clearlinux kinda pwned this.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Clearlinux kinda pwned this.
      Without knowing exact details on their "magic flags" I fear they do sacrifice stability/reliability for this...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Without knowing exact details on their "magic flags" I fear they do sacrifice stability/reliability for this...
        arjan_intel can probably provide more enlightenment, but their optimizations shouldn't sacrifice stability/reliability... Keep in mind Clear Linux isn't designed to be an enthusiast/desktop distro but is aimed for servers / containers.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

We don't use any of the scary flags in Clear Linux. We do have mechanism for adding AVX2 for specific libraries as an automatic runtime-detected option (this helps the math workloads like R). We also have a lot of infrastructure to make it easy for us to use -O3 for performance sensitive parts of the OS while using the normal -O2 for the bulk of the OS (and -Os for some of the size sensitive parts).

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
            We don't use any of the scary flags in Clear Linux. We do have mechanism for adding AVX2 for specific libraries as an automatic runtime-detected option (this helps the math workloads like R). We also have a lot of infrastructure to make it easy for us to use -O3 for performance sensitive parts of the OS while using the normal -O2 for the bulk of the OS (and -Os for some of the size sensitive parts).

I realy like Clear Linux idea and would maybe use it on my desktop in future, with things like Solus OS :> Continue to do great things please

Comment

Clear Linux is rather impressive. I wonder when someone will start making a usable desktop fork of it kind of like Mint?

Comment

I wonder how it compares to Arch Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
                  Clear Linux is rather impressive. I wonder when someone will start making a usable desktop fork of it kind of like Mint?

Comment

Where is Debian???

Comment

Working...
                    X