Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Buys Out Miguel de Icaza's Xamarin

Phoronix: Microsoft Buys Out Miguel de Icaza's Xamarin

Microsoft has announced today they are acquiring Xamarin, the company backed by Mono developers including Miguel de Icaza, GNOME's founder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While not entirely unexpected, this is a great move for MS.

I hope the positives of this for the .NET and open source communities outweigh the negatives.

We shall see.

Comment

Everybody knew this was coming years ago...

Comment

Not very amused here.
        What will happen to Monodevelop / Xamarin Studio?
        The combination of Xamarin, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Team Services...
        Already sounds like Monodevelop never existed. It never was possible to develop Xamarin on Linux, anyway. However, as I understood, they need a MAC to develop for iOS.
        So will they keep Xamarin Studio only for developing iOS-Apps on MAC?

Comment

Originally posted by seijikun View Post
          Not very amused here.
          What will happen to Monodevelop / Xamarin Studio?

Already sounds like Monodevelop never existed. It never was possible to develop Xamarin on Linux, anyway. However, as I understood, they need a MAC to develop for iOS.
          So will they keep Xamarin Studio only for developing iOS-Apps on MAC?
          Well, I wondered that too - but then I remembered it is open source. No doubt it will receive less attention, though.

Comment

GNOME, the most successful MS supported divide and conquer move ever accomplished in the world of FLOSS.

Comment

Now than it belongs to MS it makes a lot of sense to make it free. But on the other hand, this makes it even more unlikely to ever see Xamarin studio for linux (Xamarin studio != monodevelop btw)

Comment

i've always think that Migel is MS employee from veeeeryyy loooong time .... and why i don't like Gnome
                Last edited by edmon; 24 February 2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                  Now than it belongs to MS it makes a lot of sense to make it free. But on the other hand, this makes it even more unlikely to ever see Xamarin studio for linux (Xamarin studio != monodevelop btw)
                  Xamarin Studio no, but unlike under Xamarin we actually now have a really strong chance to see the former Xamarin tools on Linux, that will make monodevelop effectively Xamarin Studio.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will just open-source the entire codebase. It doesn't make sense to have the .net Framework and .net core open source, but not the stuff that could sit on top and make it a truly cross-platform environment to be reckoned with.

Microsoft has wanted a "Write once, run anywhere" architecture for a while - Universal Windows Apps, but it's no good if "Run anywhere" means "Run on PC's and like 1% of mobile devices". Xamarin could be the missing piece and that would make .net development one of the most powerful ecosystems to contend with.

All open source, too. Haters gonna hate, but this could be exceptionally good for us all.

Comment

Working...
                    X