Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Popular Open-Source Programs On Wayland

Phoronix: The State Of Popular Open-Source Programs On Wayland

For those interested in the state of various open-source desktop programs on Wayland, there is a nice read about the compatibility with these modern Linux programs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use Gnome on wayland for a while now. Sadly KDE is messed up pile of bugs regardless of whether X11 or wayland.
    Only issue is missing drag and rop causing nautilus to freeze. Thus not perfect but very usable for console warriors at least...

Comment

Eclipse seems to have issues under Wayland

Comment

Eclipse Mars has issue under everything ...

Comment

Eclipse seems to have issues under Wayland
          After installing xf86-input-libinput Eclipse Mars started working well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pvjlieuthier View Post

After installing xf86-input-libinput Eclipse Mars started working well for me.
            Even the swing gui editor? It doesn't work even under X.

Comment

For Swing(AWT) embedding you're most probably hitting limitation in the JDK (http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/283 is ment to improve it). And SWT has migrated as the other option was to have broken Browser widget, so we took the lesser evil.

Comment

Originally posted by nocri View Post
                Eclipse Mars has issue under everything ...
                Why do you pick on Mars? Between Eclipse and SWT, I don't know which offer the worse experience.
                Sure, Eclipse is a wonderful platform for plugins, but throw a bad plugin in the mix and watch the whole house come crashing down. And that's only if SWT decides it should work ok on your platform of choice in the first place. Sadly, the alternatives are Netbeans (which works, but it's even more painful to use than Eclipse) and Idea.

Comment

I picked Mars because I had problems with it under at least a dozen different systems (menus freezing, GUI crashing, GTK errors, autocomplete not working, removal of dependencies with git pull). The plugins cannot be considered separately as Eclipse without plugins is non-usable for everyday use (look at default installations under different distributions or even default eclipse package at its site -- it always come with plugins). The solution was to fall back to previous versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    I use Gnome on wayland for a while now. Sadly KDE is messed up pile of bugs regardless of whether X11 or wayland.
                    Please do not make those kind of global statement based on feelings because once, years ago, you tested KDE.
                    KDE is stable and in good shape on X11 and only have minor bugs. The Wayland part is work in progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X