Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-Way Intel Xeon E3 v5 Skylake Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: 9-Way Intel Xeon E3 v5 Skylake Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

For those looking at upgrading a server or workstation to an Intel Xeon E3 v5 "Skylake" processor, here is a nine-way benchmark comparison of these processors compared to older Haswell Xeons as well as an AMD FX processor for reference. The benchmarks today were done under Ubuntu Linux and besides looking at raw performance we also have test results for the CPU thermal performance, system power consumption, performance-per-Watt, and performance-per-dollar metrics with a total of 14 AMD/Intel processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good job Michael, very interesting.

Funny thing : Intel Xeon E3-1280 v5 is generally slower than Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 and costs 2x the price...

Comment

Thanks for the article! Very comprehensive and it's interesting to see the power/performance and price/performance metrics too.

Additionally: Many thanks to whomever sent out all these review samples! Assuming they don't want to remain anonymous, I'd give them a huge plug there Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
        Good job Michael, very interesting.

Funny thing : Intel Xeon E3-1280 v5 is generally slower than Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 and costs 2x the price...
        They have the same turbo frequency, just that the 1280 has 100MHz base clock.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          Additionally: Many thanks to whomever sent out all these review samples! Assuming they don't want to remain anonymous, I'd give them a huge plug there Michael.
          MSI is "loaning" us the processors, as mentioned in the article a few times.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Ah, OK, thanks MSI. I tend to filter out acronyms so there ya go.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They have the same turbo frequency, just that the 1280 has 100MHz base clock.
              Yes, I saw that in specs, but thank to you people may prefer save 300$ per proc... or follow marketing and buy "the best"

Intel has strange pricing sometimes...

Comment

The E3 1280 v5 is totally worth the 284$ premium over the 1270.

Also, the title of the article is a little misleading since the main focus was clearly the AMD FX-8370.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  The E3 1280 v5 is totally worth the 284$ premium over the 1270.

Also, the title of the article is a little misleading since the main focus was clearly the AMD FX-8370.
                  The FX-8370 wasn't the main focus....?
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    Hrmm.. if that was excessively dry sarcasm then I give you credit.
                    Otherwise you're an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X