Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial Xerus" Beta 1 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial Xerus" Beta 1 Released

Opt-in flavors of Ubuntu have today issued their first beta of the "Xenial Xerus" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm using this atm but run off mesa11.3-git from https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...aphics-drivers Hope that all works out. I did notice that steam still tries to link to older libstdc++.so.6 libraries so people will need to remake a new symlink to resolve that (why must we keep doing this Valve?)

I think small things like this is why Linux is never seeing the uptake in users from Windows that it should, tiny little things that most people would have no clue about. The concept of entering a terminal to bash out a library fix for steam like that manually is a daunting task for most people...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I'm using this atm but run off mesa11.3-git from https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...aphics-drivers Hope that all works out. I did notice that steam still tries to link to older libstdc++.so.6 libraries so people will need to remake a new symlink to resolve that (why must we keep doing this Valve?)
      mkdir ~/bin
      (insert editor here such as vim or gedit) ~/bin/deletesteamlibgcc.sh
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete
      chmod +x ~/bin/deletesteamlibgcc.sh

Done!

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I think small things like this is why Linux is never seeing the uptake in users from Windows that it should, tiny little things that most people would have no clue about. The concept of entering a terminal to bash out a library fix for steam like that manually is a daunting task for most people...
      +1
      Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 25 February 2016, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Yes I know about the whole auto delete the library thing, but there was suggestion that some games can have problems when you do that for whatever reason so I chose to just insert the correct library as a solution, it can become a problem if steam pushes out a large update but it will do for now. My main issue is the Radeon Open-Source drivers (all versions) cause allot of games to seg fault. Some access violation error according to coredumps...

Comment

Interesting; looks like I chose a fine day to start moving some systems to Xubuntu 16.04.

So far, everything looks fine, almost boringly so And even better; the black screen during encryption key enter on radeon and the ioctl device busy thing also related to encryption don't happen either (both occur on 15.10; not really major issues though).

Comment

The Radeon crash must be exclusive to 390 users (I have a 390x), I found a neat little service that fixes it called dpm-query which takes dpm off 'auto' setting that causes the freeze ups. I'm going to assume most people with these cards figured all that out long ago (yet no distro applies this fix to date )

Comment

Interesting, alphas with 4.3 kernel were fine, but it seems kernel 4.4 has fucked up asus_laptop module somewhere around sysfs handling. Ironically, it seems this bug allowed me to track down yet another fancy, hard to catch bug.

Comment

Working...
              X