Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39 System Intel & AMD CPU Benchmarks On Linux

Phoronix: 39 System Intel & AMD CPU Benchmarks On Linux

Yesterday I published the interesting and extensive tests around a 9-way Intel Xeon E3 v5 Skylake processor comparison plus a few extra AMD/Intel CPUs for reference. For some Friday benchmarking fun, that comparison has been extended to a total of a 39 system Linux CPU comparison of AMD/Intel hardware!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! I am going for E3-1270v5 for my home machine.

Comment

Where's the i7-6700 CPU in this comparison? I'd like to see how Xeon CPUs compare to desktop models.

Comment

Originally posted by PFee View Post
        Where's the i7-6700 CPU in this comparison? I'd like to see how Xeon CPUs compare to desktop models.
        I don't own a i7 6700... Intel never ended up sending out desktop SKL samples to me so the only ones I have are the Xeons or Core i5s I bought.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hey, nice tests, here's FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz against same suite, http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...FX-8320+sterky - AMD FX-8320 sterky
          Last edited by sterky; 26 February 2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sterky View Post
            Hey, nice tests, here's FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz against same suite, http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...FX-8320+sterky - AMD FX-8320 sterky
            And I've extended that with my i7-4810MQ (Quad Haswell mobile, 16GB).

Hoping to add my home desktop (Phenom II x6 1055t) after I get home for comparison along with an i7-2600/i7-2700 so that I can actually figure out whether it's worthwhile to upgrade my Phenom to an FX-83xx or wait for Zen.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Veerappan, I happen to have a Phenom X6 1055t in my downstairs computer and an FX-8320, both running at stock speeds. I don't think the speed difference is noticeable day to day at all.

I rip my Blu-Rays, and for the ones that were originally encoded in the VC-1 video codec I convert them to H.264. In that, the Phenom converts 11-12 frames per second and the FX-8320 manages 18 frames per second. So obviously the 8320 shaves a third off of the time to convert a film. But either way it takes so long I just fire off one conversion in the morning and one in the evening.

Of course I could leave the films in VC-1, but in H.264 form I can host the films on a web server and watch any movie in the house from any device in the house with a browser and decent performance. Older cheaper Android devices don't have the computing power to play the movies without stuttering, though they can stream ripped DVDs.

Comment

How come the Pentium G4400 has the same performance as a Core i7 4790K in Himeno Benchmark and FFTE?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  How come the Pentium G4400 has the same performance as a Core i7 4790K in Himeno Benchmark and FFTE?
                  FFTE and Himeno benchmarks use single core only, not threaded at all. intel rules in singlecore perf.
                  luckily on linux most of the stuff is nicely multithreaded

Comment

Most likely the Pentium G4400 was benchmarked with cpufreq ondemand vs most others with p-state powersave. It seems the Turbo did not kick in for some benchmarks. Maybe the threshold to increase frequency is differently defined - or some benchmarks use AVX-512.
                    Last edited by Kano; 27 February 2016, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X