Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Clang vs. GCC Compiler Comparison On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Phoronix: LLVM Clang vs. GCC Compiler Comparison On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

When getting access to an assortment of new Intel Xeon E3 "Skylake" processors one of the first testing thoughts that came to mind were some fresh GCC vs. Clang benchmarks. So using the $600+ Xeon E3-1280 v5 processor running up to 4.0GHz, I carried out a comparison of the GCC and Clang compilers using the packaged versions being offered by Ubuntu 16.04, the Xenial Xerus.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Run against Bullet Physics 2.83. You know, something that has been out for a year. When we get to Bullet 3.0 OpenCL that should be real interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      Run against Bullet Physics 2.83. You know, something that has been out for a year. When we get to Bullet 3.0 OpenCL that should be real interesting.
      Last time I tried pulling down a newer version of Bullet, I ran into problems: trying to recall, either the benchmark functionality I was using was no longer in the code-base or it was broken when trying to build it.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is there a regression in LLVM clang 3.8?

Comment

The scimark2 results are suspicios. My haswell laptop (2.9 GHz) scores this (gcc-5.3):

Code:
          Composite Score:         2589.21
          FFT             Mflops:  1989.04    (N=1024)
          SOR             Mflops:  2203.60    (100 x 100)
          MonteCarlo:     Mflops:  1118.20
          Sparse matmult  Mflops:  2798.64    (N=1000, nz=5000)
          LU              Mflops:  4836.57    (M=100, N=100)
          It's faster than your skylake xeon except for LU Matrix Factorization, and the system wasn't even idle when the tests ran.
          That doesn't make sense.
          Last edited by mlau; 26 February 2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

It would be interesting to see binary size for each complier / set of flags used...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              It would be interesting to see binary size for each complier / set of flags used...
              Wouldn't be too hard for someone interested to script up for PTS so it could be done automatically and universally.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

You must configure gcc with --enable-checking=release if you want to benchmark compile times.
                It defaults to "
                ‘assert,misc,tree,gc,rtlflag,runtime" for snapshots. This slows down the compiler immensely.

If you're unable to build your own compiler, at least use -fno-checking when compiling, to turn off some expensive checking.
                Last edited by octoploid; 26 February 2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by octoploid View Post
                  You must configure gcc with --enable-checking=release if you want to benchmark compile times.
                  It defaults to "
                  ‘assert,misc,tree,gc,rtlflag,runtime" for snapshots. This slows down the compiler immensely.

If you're unable to build your own compiler, at least use -fno-checking when compiling, to turn off some expensive checking.
                  When I do build my own GCC builds, I do enable-checking=release, but this was a benchmark of what's packaged by Ubuntu 16.04.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

When I do build my own GCC builds, I do enable-checking=release, but this was a benchmark of what's packaged by Ubuntu 16.04.
                    Was the prerelease version in Ubuntu configured with or without checking? It is very relevant if you want to compare compiling times and look for regressions.

Comment

Working...
                    X