Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Gets Primary Selection Protocol For Wayland

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Gets Primary Selection Protocol For Wayland

Here is one more item that can be crossed off the list of what needs to happen for Fedora 24 to use Wayland by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Definitely appreciated! Great news!

Comment

With all these essential features implemented in a short time I wonder how stable Fedora 24 on Wayland will be.

Comment

Originally posted by winie View Post
        With all these essential features implemented in a short time I wonder how stable Fedora 24 on Wayland will be.

Never had any crashes on the Wayland session in GNOME. Looks like they want to rather postpone Wayland as default in Fedora for Fedora 25 instead of delaying Fedora 24 for the Wacom Tablet and and accessibility stuff by a couple of weeks. For the average user who doesn't need Wacom Tablet Support and Accessibility Features it should be good to go.

Comment

I've never quite understood how primary selection fits into the "mechanism, not policy" approach of X11. To me having a mouse button dedicated to a fixed function smacks very much of it being a policy (a mechanism would be to simply report the mouse button, and that's all).

Comment

Originally posted by winie View Post
            Considering how stable Wayland on f23 is, I'd expect it to be even more stable (which is to say, very stable).
            These features may end up buggy (though I doubt it), but stability shouldn't be harmed.

Comment

Appears that toolkits need client-side implementation for this. There are also GTK+3 patches for the Primary Selection Protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by hansg View Post
                I've never quite understood how primary selection fits into the "mechanism, not policy" approach of X11. To me having a mouse button dedicated to a fixed function smacks very much of it being a policy (a mechanism would be to simply report the mouse button, and that's all).
                1) The approach is a guideline with plenty of exceptions all over
                2) It is possible to map different things to a paste action

Comment

Originally posted by hansg View Post
                  It is not mapped to a fixed function. It is reported as a mouse button just like you imagined.

Applications decide whether they want to interpret the mouse button as a paste action, e.g. depending on where the mouse is, just like they can interpret CTRL+V as paste depending in where the focus is.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    It is not mapped to a fixed function. It is reported as a mouse button just like you imagined.

Applications decide whether they want to interpret the mouse button as a paste action, e.g. depending on where the mouse is, just like they can interpret CTRL+V as paste depending in where the focus is.

Cheers,
                    _
                    But how is this different under Wayland, then? Does Wayland not report mouse events? I'm just trying to understand why "primary selection support for Wayland" is a thing...

If it happens on the application level, Wayland does not have to do anything to support it. If it happens in Wayland it is a policy, not a mechanism. So which is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X