Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patches Published For Nouveau Compute Support On Kepler

Phoronix: Patches Published For Nouveau Compute Support On Kepler

Samuel Pitoiset continues carrying out compute miracles for the open-source Nouveau NVIDIA Linux graphics driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this pace Nvidia may catch AMD OSS drivers or even surpass them. I do hope these open-source drivers can make some very good performance improvements over the coming months. I run a 390x and refuse to touch FGLRX again, however there is a bug in the mesa drivers which prevents most games from working (seg faults) however I managed to fix it by recompiling latest mesa-11.3-dev branch.

If anyone else suffers the infamous seg-faults when using the AMD open-source driver and wishes me to post the fix let me know (I'm thinking most people already compile their own MESA anyway).

Comment

Glad you found a fix. I guess main question is whether the bug ticket contains the info ?
      Test signature

Comment

I really don't know the EXACT specifics of what the problem was but reconfiguring with the below command got Warthunder going, however ARMA3 and ARK still crash once you try to enter a actual game (ARMA3 somehow survives rendering the action main menu however.....)

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-texture-float --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ --with-gallium-drivers=nouveau,radeonsi,r600 --with-egl-platforms=drm,x11 --enable-glx-tls --enable-shared-glapi --enable-glx --enable-driglx-direct --enable-gles1 --enable-gles2 CFLAGS="-O3 -fno-inline-small-functions" CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fno-inline-small-functions"

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          At this pace Nvidia may catch AMD OSS drivers or even surpass them. I do hope these open-source drivers can make some very good performance improvements over the coming months. I run a 390x and refuse to touch FGLRX again, however there is a bug in the mesa drivers which prevents most games from working (seg faults) however I managed to fix it by recompiling latest mesa-11.3-dev branch.

If anyone else suffers the infamous seg-faults when using the AMD open-source driver and wishes me to post the fix let me know (I'm thinking most people already compile their own MESA anyway).
          You can also use the latest verion of mesa using the pontostoy docker. Check http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=2708

Comment

At this pace Nvidia may catch AMD OSS drivers or even surpass them.
            If you look at GL features alone, nouveau tends to be on par or ahead of radeon most of the time. However radeon kernel drivers vastly outshine nouveau in terms of stability (mostly the ability to recover in some way) and speed (the amd team does perf analysis and improves their driver based on it), not to mention the fact that radeon kernel driver does automatic reclocking, whereas nouveau can barely get manual reclocks right, on a subset of GPUs.

Comment

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-texture-float --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ --with-gallium-drivers=nouveau,radeonsi,r600 --with-egl-platforms=drm,x11 --enable-glx-tls --enable-shared-glapi --enable-glx --enable-driglx-direct --enable-gles1 --enable-gles2 CFLAGS="-O3 -fno-inline-small-functions" CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fno-inline-small-functions"
              Ahh, that one. I ran across it while searching for "segfault" tickets against Mesa. Thanks !
              Test signature

Comment

Working...
              X