Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Exciting, Passively-Cooled Linux PC Is Arriving Next Week

Phoronix: That Exciting, Passively-Cooled Linux PC Is Arriving Next Week

Back in January we covered the launch of the CompuLab Airtop as one of the coolest Linux-friendly PCs ever for entusiasts. This radically designed PC is arriving next week at Phoronix for testing so we'll be able to share more about its design and performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey if this cooling could handle an i7, chunky set of ddr4 (32gb preferably) and a high end gaming card (like gtx 980-Ti) I'm all for it for my next rig, if not... well, let's just say I'm a little disapointed.

Either way, I think this case is the start of something incredible; computers that don't make fucking noise! Just shove an SSD in there, make the entire system passively cooled, and you can use it as a server while sleeping like a baby with your ear right next to it, that's a future I like seeing. I mean it would be really helpful if I could sleep wit h a computer on close to my bed, mostly to use as servers.
    Last edited by rabcor; 28 February 2016, 03:48 AM.

Comment

The Airtop sent over by CompuLab has a Core i7 5775C Broadwell CPU, solid-state storage, and GeForce GTX 950 all while being passively cooled
      Pics or it didn't happen. Anyway, that's cool and the computer is interesting!

Edit: Oh, just understood that it didn't arrive yet. Well that explains the missing pictures.

Comment

I can't find much use for GTX 950, just bit faster than Iris Pro Graphics 6200 found on the Intel CPU.

Comment

Wonderful, but aren't all rockchip-based pc already without fan ? and stay cool ? I have a cubox and an asus c201, both are small, noiseless, cool computers that provide more than enough CPU to do everyday tasks. The only problem right now is that installing linux with gpu driver working is not easy or always possible.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
            I can't find much use for GTX 950, just bit faster than Iris Pro Graphics 6200 found on the Intel CPU.
            Really? What kind of use are you comparing?
            At least to my eyes it seems that GeForce is winning by a big margin just by comparing specs, which of course doesn't always translate to real world performance but the difference is so big that they must be in different league. Some specs to compare: http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...s-6200-desktop

Remember that this is GTX 950 and not a mobile chip like GTX 950M.

Comment

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
              Wonderful, but aren't all rockchip-based pc already without fan ? and stay cool ? I have a cubox and an asus c201, both are small, noiseless, cool computers that provide more than enough CPU to do everyday tasks. The only problem right now is that installing linux with gpu driver working is not easy or always possible.
              You pretty much implicitly gave the reasons for using the airtop over the devices you listed yourself.
              1. Your everyday tasks are not everyones, my everyday tasks require more CPU power than some rockchip-based PC can deliver.
              2. It seems like this case can be equipped with "standard parts" (where the usual PC is the standard and not some small form-factor PC), which enjoy much better software support and can meet a wider range of requirements.

Comment

Alright, I need one of these, just with GTX 970 instead of 950.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                  Since you are on phoronix I would expect better comment than this
                  iris 6200 is slower than gtx 750 http://media.bestofmicro.com/T/J/497...-IGP-GTA-V.png

As for the article, I like how they are starting from 761$, but when you actually click and set everything to "Not installed" it is 767$, which is actually almost unusable...just saying
                  I've just recently made a small build with gtx 970 mini and water cooling in coolermaster elite 110 case, which was smallest I could find that fits and was available in my country, but I would still love to make it smaller
                  It would be awesome if airtop included 970, since it's also very small and conservative in power usage

Comment

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
                    A lot of ARM devices are passively cooled... But none of them are in the same class of performance and potential as the Airtop hardware.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X