Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Now Has GTK3-Native Menus

Phoronix: LibreOffice Now Has GTK3-Native Menus

There's even more progress now to report on with LibreOffice's GTK3 tool-kit support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is GTK3 in LibreOffice really needed for Wayland? It's not like LibreOffice has a hard dependency on GTK2 or something keeping it back. They could just port VCL to Wayland and that would work too.

Comment

I may be wrong but I thought that VCL was like XUL in that it was reliant on the backends

Comment

VCL has multiple backends - win32, Mac OS, GTK2, GTK 3 etc.

It would be interesting (crazy?) if VCL could be reworked to remove the other backends with GTK providing all the backends to the various platforms and move the work for compatibility from VCL to GTK 3 (transferring development)

Comment

Oh well, introducing more and more new features and portings. On one hand that is nice, and somehow neccessary, but then, there are still a lot of bugs that need fixing. I had more than enough opportunity past year to see those bugs (some won't be seen by most people, though).
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Why rework VCL when GTK3 offers tested Wayland support and Gnome HIG support? GTK3 was the best fit and only fit.
            You do not seem to know what HIG actually means, it stands for human interface guidelines, a set of recommendations for designing applications.
            Using Gtk doesn't mean that you are following the Gnome HIG, it is easy to write a Gtk application that doesn't follow it.
            It is possible to make a Gtk application that follows the KDE HIG, or a Qt application that follows the Gnome HIG.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              Everything is possible for if you can get away with gross hacks. LibreOffice is maintained by rather sane people so you might want to look elsewhere for such experiments.

Meanwhile the GTK3 porting will take LibreOffice to the land of Wayland and sane HIGs.
              What are you taking about? I'd say they are sane yes; in not tying LibreOffice down to one single desktop's HIG, especially considering it is a multi OS project.

Comment

Working...
              X