Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 3 Announced, Shipping With 1.2GHz 64-bit ARM CPU

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 3 Announced, Shipping With 1.2GHz 64-bit ARM CPU

While not much of a surprise since leaks began coming at the end of last week, but the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B has been announced with immediate availability. The Raspberry Pi 3 is ARM64!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If anyone keeps buying this stuff in 2016 and not, e.g. Odroid C2, they're either lazy (do some research!) or susceptible to cults.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
      If anyone keeps buying this stuff in 2016 and not, e.g. Odroid C2, they're either lazy (do some research!) or susceptible to cults.
      If you think that the community around the RPi isn't 10X larger than the Odroids and therefore it's easier to get what you want done then you're crazy. Do not underestimate the importance of being able to google 'rasperry pi [what you want to do]' and getting a load of posts from people who have already tried before you.

Comment

Bollocks, on better hardware than that Rpi crap it's just Linux on ARM - I don't have to google anything special.
        BTW, it seems it still has that old 100Mbit ethernet over USB bus solution. Nuff said!
        Last edited by Shimon; 29 February 2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Haha what. Community matters a lot and RPI have just that. But yeah, let's go with everyone that buys RPI3 are either lazy or into some cults.

Comment

Bollocks, on better hardware than that Rpi crap it's just Linux on ARM - I don't have to google anything special.
            BTW, it seems it still has that old 100Mbit ethernet over USB bus solution. Nuff said!

The problem with some odroid boards is that they can't be used with mainline kernel. I myself have Odroid U2 and it works with 4.3 kernel from kernel.org. But most other odroid boards need patched old kernels. No free mali driver is another problem for odroids. RPi2 can run with vc4 mesa driver. Although, it still depends on that binary blob to boot...

Comment

Good luck with that completely useless hypothesis of yours!
              "It's just Linux on ARM" doesn't exactly work for most advanced usecases.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post

The problem with some odroid boards is that they can't be used with mainline kernel.
                Ah yes, the point is valid but really, I could name a few more serious issues that still don't make Rpi a superior choice.

Even though Odroid C2 was just an apt example (64bit to 64bit) - there are similarly priced alternative brands that already sport SATA and full-duplex Gigabit Ethernet (C1 is not one of them, TX speed is halved, btw)

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Good luck with that completely useless hypothesis of yours!
                "It's just Linux on ARM" doesn't exactly work for most advanced usecases.
                Whatever.

Comment

Thank you had forgotten about that. Rpi3 is very very nice. Giving that I can live with lack of Sata port, but the same old shitty usb-to-ethernet that just doesnt cut it. Its not the $35 that counts. Its the time. They released it after a significant timeframe. This was expected. but then again the question is if that would have broken all the existing work done with v1 and v2 rpi
                  Last edited by sarfarazahmad; 29 February 2016, 09:48 AM.

Comment

They probably bet on people switching to the wireless ethernet which doesn't suffer from this limitation (separate bus).

Comment

Working...
                    X