Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial Hands-On With The Passively-Cooled Airtop PC Boasting A Core i7 & GTX 950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Hands-On With The Passively-Cooled Airtop PC Boasting A Core i7 & GTX 950

Phoronix: Initial Hands-On With The Passively-Cooled Airtop PC Boasting A Core i7 & GTX 950

Since the Airtop PC was announced back in January there has been a lot of interest in this passively-cooled, high-performance line of PCs by the folks at CompuLab. The Airtop isn't some low-end, passively cooled PC but rather can be equipped with a Core i7 or Xeon CPU and a discrete graphics card to deliver very capable performance while having a completely silent PC. Some have been skeptical about the cooling and performance claims of the Airtop PC, but our review sample arrived this morning and have begun testing out this very interesting PC.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is GPU easily upgradable for other up to 90W card in future? Custom MB, any details?

Im not sure about temperatures because i think that Broadwell could around 80C start throttling and for Geforce is throtlling temperature 83C, so maybe you hit this cap, 81 pretty close..

What about distribution in Europe?
    Last edited by ruthan; 29 February 2016, 05:49 PM.

Comment

With GPUs power consumption going down, it would be interesting to see it supporting high end GPUs. GTX 950 isn't enough for high end gaming at max settings.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        GTX 950 isn't enough for high end gaming at max settings.
        Obviously not the target market for this product...

Comment

Like the concept, hoping their next MB iteration includes 4 DDR4 DIMM slots and Skylake. 32GB is tight for an image processing workstation. Perhaps they're waiting to see how Pascal pans out.

Comment

Once more testing is completed, I'd like to see the following details:

- the amount of clearance that must be left around it before it starts overheating
            - ambient temperature and humidity effective ranges of operation
            Last edited by Shimon; 01 March 2016, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
              - ambient temperature and humidity effective ranges of operation
              This right here is my major concern about the Airtop. I don't think this would be an ideal machine for someone in, say, Panama.

Comment

the max temperatures are quite high. they may be within spec, but still they are high. also a 950 is not exactly a performance card ....

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  With GPUs power consumption going down, it would be interesting to see it supporting high end GPUs. GTX 950 isn't enough for high end gaming at max settings.
                  Do you guys buy anything else than the last intel i7 and x80Ti?

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                    Is GPU easily upgradable for other up to 90W card in future?
                    Probably not: http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopi...p=19845#p19845

Comment

Working...
                    X