Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends Out Big Patch Series For HSA/OpenCL Interop Support

Phoronix: AMD Sends Out Big Patch Series For HSA/OpenCL Interop Support

AMD's Marek Olšák sent out a set of 26 patches this morning for preparing the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver to have interoperability support between OpenGL and HSA/OpenCL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this related to compute shaders in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
      Is this related to compute shaders in any way?
      No, they're just still pushing their APU dream that failed 5 or 6 years ago and put them behind Intel by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

No, they're just still pushing their APU dream that failed 5 or 6 years ago and put them behind Intel by a long shot.
        I am working with this stuff for embedded systems, and from a technological point-of-view their accomplishment is impressive - making GPUs suitable for algorithms where previously even thinking about using GPUs was ridiculous. Seems the market (and AMD's drivers) were not ready...
        Hoping their 14nm APUs with ZEN cores will balance things again...
        Last edited by Linuxhippy; 02 March 2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Is Marek the author or the committer of the patches? For those commits that anzwix tracks, seems like just a handful AMD developer do all the work...

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            Is Marek the author or the committer of the patches? For those commits that anzwix tracks, seems like just a handful AMD developer do all the work...
            That's right. There are not many of us. Tom and Matt work mainly on LLVM, Michel works mainly on X/DDX, and Nicolai and me work mainly on Mesa/OpenGL.
            Last edited by marek; 02 March 2016, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

That's right. There are not many of us. Tom and Matt work mainly on LLVM, Michel works mainly on X/DDX, and Nicolai and me work mainly on Mesa/OpenGL.

What about the kernel side?

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

So we have (sorry for any mispelling):

Marek Olsak, Nicolai Hähnl: Mesa/OpenGL
                Tom Stellard, Matt (donn't know his surname): LLVM
                Alex Deucher: ??
                John Bridgman: ??

There is some lesser know/heard developers that are responsible for the new open parts of AMDGPU right? Like the PowerPlay and that huge patch that had some common functionality already existing on Mesa related to display...

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
                  There the list is much larger -- most of the folks who were working on Linux Catalyst kernel & modesetting code are now working on amdgpu instead.

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  John Bridgman: ??
                  My role on the graphics side could be described as closer to pointy-haired boss than to active developer
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post

Comment

Working...
                    X