Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plymouth Gains HiDPI Support

Phoronix: Plymouth Gains HiDPI Support

It isn't often we hear much these days about Plymouth, the modern Linux boot splash screen that's now almost universally used by Linux distributions, given that the project is rather mature. However, for those utilizing modern HiDPI displays, the latest Plymouth code should work out better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish Plymouth would gain nvidia driver support :\ I never was able to get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      I wish Plymouth would gain nvidia driver support :\ I never was able to get it working.
      thats up to Nvidia to do that.

wonder if we'll see this Plymouth version in F24

Comment

Plymouth is not not solely a boot splash. It is a boot time I/O multiplexer. See this link for more details.

Comment

After the introduction of systemd and the side effect of having the system completely boot in a few seconds, I stopped seeing the point of plymouth.

Comment

you have wrong wish
            you need to wish for nvidia windows driver to gain linux support

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              you have wrong wish
              you need to wish for nvidia windows driver to gain linux support
              You don't want that.
              If they split the codebase, the newly conceived GNU/Linux driver will remain behind the Windows one forever.

It's a much more solid idea to help develop nouveau and to lobby NVIDIA to further development in that direction.

Personally, I haven't used anything but nouveau since switching my Hackintosh over to Ubuntu 16.04.

Comment

It's all very nice, but where did the udev-aware Plymouth go? On my desktop system Plymouth keeps rendering on the wrong card and all I see during boot is a black screen.

Comment

Nvidia needs to push out their DRM friendly driver for that to happen. Plymouth uses DRM to make the booting process as neat looking as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    It's a much more solid idea to help develop nouveau
                    it is an implementation detail, i meant that it is nvidia who does not support linux, not the other way around

Comment

Working...
                    X