Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Sends Out Latest PRIME Synchronization Patches

Phoronix: NVIDIA Sends Out Latest PRIME Synchronization Patches

The PRIME synchronization patches being contributed to the open-source Linux graphics stack by NVIDIA is now up to its fourth revision...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sorry, maybe I'm just tired that i didn't get it. What exactly do those patches fix? PRIME is already working with nouveau. Vsync is not, but in the last paragraph, Goins states that he didn't fix that either (it's intel's responsibility anyway).

Also:
    PRIME synchronization should fix tearing for those using a multi-GPU solution like Optimus with an Intel integrated graphics processor and NVIDIA discrete GPU in their laptop or desktop.
    Since Nvidia doesn't have anything comparable to ZeroCore, why should one use Optimus in a desktop computer?

Comment

when we will be able easily(without compiling) to test these patches?

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
        when we will be able easily(without compiling) to test these patches?
        When they're merged upstream and those packages are included in distributions or ppa's

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
          Sorry, maybe I'm just tired that i didn't get it. What exactly do those patches fix? PRIME is already working with nouveau. Vsync is not, but in the last paragraph, Goins states that he didn't fix that either (it's intel's responsibility anyway).

Also:
          Since Nvidia doesn't have anything comparable to ZeroCore, why should one use Optimus in a desktop computer?
          nvidia-prime optimus official, with closed source drivers. this days this work ate least in ubuntu, you can change the card in x (not like bumblebee, or use intel or nvidia card) but with the nvidia card the tearing is horrible, this patches corrects the sync

Comment

I'm really really curious how will Optimus work unde Wayland.

Comment

NVIDIA also has a yet-to-be-released proprietary driver update for supporting PRIME synchronization
              Wait, is PRIME even supported by the proprietary driver?

Comment

Will PRIME ever work without compositor?

Also, do patches from NVIDIA benefit AMD users somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                  Will PRIME ever work without compositor?
                  Prime offloading without a compositor works fine with DRI3. On the other hand, intel still can't be bothered to implement cross device synchronization in their driver which is badly needed for prime offloading with DRI3.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                    Prime offloading without a compositor works fine with DRI3.
                    Ah, I didn't know that, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X