Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 3 Benchmarks vs. Eight Other ARM Linux Boards

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 3 Benchmarks vs. Eight Other ARM Linux Boards

On Friday my Raspberry Pi 3 arrived for benchmarking. For our first benchmarks of this Cortex-A53 64-bit ARM $35 development board is a comparison against eight other ARMv7 and ARMv8 development boards running their official Linux distributions while carrying out a range of benchmarks. Here are those raw performance results along with a performance-per-dollar comparison for additional insight into this low-cost ARM development board.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice tests, as always!

As my main problem with previous RPis is the poor network performance, could you please add network throughput to the benchmarks? A test reading and writing files from/to a samba-shared USB disk would be great!

Comment

Is the Raspberry Pi 3 hardware capable of supporting Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by doragasu View Post
        Nice tests, as always!

As my main problem with previous RPis is the poor network performance, could you please add network throughput to the benchmarks? A test reading and writing files from/to a samba-shared USB disk would be great!
        If someone submits a test profile for that to OpenBenchmarking.org or otherwise sponsors creation of said test, would be happy to add it.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

First Thanks for the benchmarks.
          I never know the orange pi pc board,im looking one seller and i see is 15$ board!
          Wow.Only a question i see the reported cost in benchmark for this orange pi pc says 25$.But i can buy it for 15$,is this a error? Going to buy one now.
          Sorry for me english
          Last edited by NishaYume; 05 March 2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

My favorite board at the moment is the PCDuino3 Nano Lite, mostly because they keep putting it on sale periodically for $15 (free shipping) at Amazon (I've bought three now). They have an Allwinner dual-core A20, 1GB RAM, gig-E, SATA, and Arduino compatibility. They also run the mainline vanilla kernel, and out-of-the-box Fedora 23. No funky firmware blobs to install, just normal Fedora u-boot and extlinux. That means installing a new kernel is as simple as installing all the rest of the maintenance on Fedora: 'dnf update'. The network and I/O are 5x to 6x faster than a Raspberry Pi, because they are driven directly by the SOC, not off a USB bridge like the RPi. Some quick numbers:

Network (Gig-E) using iperf:
            627 Mbits/sec unidirectional
            814 Mbits/per bi-directional (aggregate)

SATA (Hitachi 1TB) drive, using hdparm -tT /dev/sda:
            Timing cached reads: 350.08 MB/sec
            Timing buffered disk reads: 116.82 MB/sec

Note, the SATA is also hot-pluggable.

As a point of comparison, the Raspberry Pi2 B:

Network (100Mb) using iperf:
            94 Mbits/sec unidirectional
            131 Mbits/sec bi-directional (aggregate)

USB (Hitachi 1TB) drive, using hdparm -tT /dev/sda:
            Timing cached reads: 323.76 MB/sec
            Timing buffered disk reads: 24.13 MB/sec
            Last edited by macemoneta; 05 March 2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NishaYume View Post
              First Thanks for the benchmarks.
              I never know the orange pi pc board,im looking one seller and i see is 15$ board!
              Wow.Only a question i see the reported cost in benchmark for this orange pi pc says 25$.But i can buy it for 15$,is this a error? Going to buy one now.
              Sorry for me english
              For the other board pricing, I was using pricing given to me by LoverPi.com since they had supplied the other low-cost ARMv7 boards.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Is the Raspberry Pi 3 hardware capable of supporting Vulkan?

No regular OpenGL ES 2.0 GPU like what you find in most smartphones these days or even back in 2010.

Comment

A bit of a complaint about the "price per dollar" figures. The Raspberry Pi boards are notorious for being priced wrong, claiming low low prices like $35 and $5, but nobody actually charges that (or does with $10 shipping or such). Then you have the Orange Pi PC that has settled at a mere $15 plus about $3 shipping from the manufacturer, far under the quoted $25 figure. Then you have the Orange Pi One, same board in a smaller form factor, $10 plus that same $3'ish shipping from the manufacturer. I'm just disappointed to see the Orange Pi's misrepresented here, when they are the leader of "Performance per dollar". They do have other issues (poor software support, OMG), but they need all the attention they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by PoVRAZOR View Post
                    A bit of a complaint about the "price per dollar" figures. The Raspberry Pi boards are notorious for being priced wrong, claiming low low prices like $35 and $5, but nobody actually charges that (or does with $10 shipping or such). Then you have the Orange Pi PC that has settled at a mere $15 plus about $3 shipping from the manufacturer, far under the quoted $25 figure. Then you have the Orange Pi One, same board in a smaller form factor, $10 plus that same $3'ish shipping from the manufacturer. I'm just disappointed to see the Orange Pi's misrepresented here, when they are the leader of "Performance per dollar". They do have other issues (poor software support, OMG), but they need all the attention they can get.
                    As mentioned already, the pricing on those other ARM boards that were supplied by LoverPi.com, I was using the pricing they supplied to me since that is what they charge for them.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X