Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS Gains Btrfs File-System Support

Phoronix: ReactOS Gains Btrfs File-System Support

ReactOS, the project aiming for binary compatibility with Microsoft Windows (Server 2003), now has Btrfs file-system support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wait so is this a port of the windows driver or is it actually a better one?

Comment

The Windows kernel driver just crashes my system after a few copy attempts for me, I tried to talk to the maker about it but he seemed to have lost interest in finding a solution, maybe it works better in server 2003 environment then w10?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        The Windows kernel driver just crashes my system after a few copy attempts for me, I tried to talk to the maker about it but he seemed to have lost interest in finding a solution, maybe it works better in server 2003 environment then w10?
        Windows Filesystem drivers require microsoft's blessing... and there basically aren't any 3rd party ones because of that , The filesytem 3rd party drivers you do see on windows are not native they are sort of like userspace file systems on linux. Not that native FSs can't be written.. you just can't distribute them with microsoft's blessing without paying microsoft about $100k to review your code and that is presuming it is "good enough" to let it into thier kernel.

A fine example of this is the YourFS network filesystem... which is a more advanced version of AFS. It would be great but, microsoft's shunning of native FS drivers in recent windows releases, politics and the inability to get companies fund it has practically killed it.

I imagine the reactos version of it works well because it has been integrated into the kernel and they have the source code for their kernel so they can make sure it all works correctly together... it would be interesting to see how well it works on real XP or server 2003 (since they are almost the same)

Comment

Nice to see ReactOS getting useful features, but unfortunately it's still very much in "alpha" quality. So much doesn't work well, even with the pre-installed apps. It might be good enough for a few specialized embedded applications, but still far from usable for a general audience.

Comment

Well Jumping Jehoshaphat on a pogo stick, hot damn.

Comment

The Oracle v Google case endangers ReactOS, going for binary compatability with the ABI requires use of an apparently (now) copywriteable API. Unless Oracle's case is thrown out, ReactOS faces unaceptable litigation risks as if the technical and social difficulties of re-implementing MS's old OS wasn't enough; should it ever gain traction, MS push Win10 HARD.

Comment

Originally posted by rob11311 View Post
                The Oracle v Google case endangers ReactOS, going for binary compatability with the ABI requires use of an apparently (now) copywriteable API. Unless Oracle's case is thrown out, ReactOS faces unaceptable litigation risks as if the technical and social difficulties of re-implementing MS's old OS wasn't enough; should it ever gain traction, MS push Win10 HARD.
                Reference to the case would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by rob11311 View Post
                  Not really with ReactOS being based out of Russia...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Windows Filesystem drivers require microsoft's blessing... and there basically aren't any 3rd party ones because of that , The filesytem 3rd party drivers you do see on windows are not native they are sort of like userspace file systems on linux. Not that native FSs can't be written.. you just can't distribute them with microsoft's blessing without paying microsoft about $100k to review your code and that is presuming it is "good enough" to let it into thier kernel.

A fine example of this is the YourFS network filesystem... which is a more advanced version of AFS. It would be great but, microsoft's shunning of native FS drivers in recent windows releases, politics and the inability to get companies fund it has practically killed it.

I imagine the reactos version of it works well because it has been integrated into the kernel and they have the source code for their kernel so they can make sure it all works correctly together... it would be interesting to see how well it works on real XP or server 2003 (since they are almost the same)
                    Putting a filesystem into the kernel does not automatically make it work better and be more stable. In fact having a filesystem in a monolithic kernel can be worse for stability than having it in user space. In Linux' case having the filesystem in the kernel means more angry people if something goes wrong, more eyeballs (and therefore hopefully less bugs) and the most important reason for having a filesystem in the kernel : performance!

I am pretty sure you understand this, but I just want to point it out regardless in case people misunderstand your text

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                    X