Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Void Linux Continues Rolling Along & Remains Systemd-Free

Phoronix: Void Linux Continues Rolling Along & Remains Systemd-Free

It's been a while since last reporting on Void Linux, an original, rolling-release Linux distribution while this weekend I fired it up for some testing. This is one of the few Linux distributions that has dropped systemd and OpenSSL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I ran Void some years back - before the switch off of systemd and OpenSSL - and it ran well and the XBPS package manager was stable and very fast. But I couldn't get some development environment I wanted to run on it - I can't remember what - so I switched off.

Comment

Why do you waste time with this obscure hobbyist distribution? There are way more popular distributions and OSes out there that would be far more interesting and useful to benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
        Why do you waste time with this obscure hobbyist distribution? There are way more popular distributions and OSes out there that would be far more interesting and useful to benchmark.

Maybe because most recent distributions out there are either a repacked Debian or Ubuntu. So is kind of pointless benchmarking them.

I would like to see if possible a comparison of the musl build too, to see any penalties or recessions by using that libc instead.

Comment

*makes claim*
          *forgets details*

Pick one.

Comment

Because anything with systemd in the title is clickbait and makes him money.

Comment

asylum for veteran unix admins

Comment

Because a number of people requested Void Linux be tested?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post

Maybe because most recent distributions out there are either a repacked Debian or Ubuntu. So is kind of pointless benchmarking them.

I would like to see if possible a comparison of the musl build too, to see any penalties or recessions by using that libc instead.
                  What's wrong with hobbyist distros? They all started out that way.

Comment

You forgot to mention that it is using MUSL libc instead of glibc... essetially it's halfway to being BSD/Linux

There are some instances were MUSL libc isn't as fast as glibc but it seems like it is coded cleanly and is a bit less rampant on memory hogging..

Comment

Working...
                    X