This Is How Much Hotter The Raspberry Pi 3 Gets Than The Raspberry Pi 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is How Much Hotter The Raspberry Pi 3 Gets Than The Raspberry Pi 2

Phoronix: This Is How Much Hotter The Raspberry Pi 3 Gets Than The Raspberry Pi 2

As part of the numerous Raspberry Pi 3 benchmarks published this weekend, I had an article devoted to how the Raspberry Pi 3 gets rather warm under load. For those interested, here are some follow-up tests showing just how warm the RPi3 gets in comparison to the Raspberry Pi 2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To sum it up, the average temp for RPi3 is higher than the max temp for RPi2...

Comment

It would have been interesting to see what temperature the RPi3 returned to after completing the benchmark to get a true average over the duration of the RPi2's run.

Comment

It may be even hotter than that. Someone on reddit took some FLIR images that show the chip running at around 100 degrees but the internal sensor isn't accurate at higher ranges.

Comment

80C? Holy crap, it seems they want to show overclocked chinese boards how to fo it right...

Comment

In resume: RP3 is a mess from start to finish..

Comment

IF you are flogging 'em hard enough to need a heat sink AND you don't need Pi compatibility, the $5 delta to Odroid C2 seems a wash. (I've ordered a C2 because I .need. usb otg. If you need onboard wifi/bluetooth, then Pi3 looks better. They aren't the same.)

Comment

In other news, more powerful processors generally run at higher temps....Seriously guys?

Comment

Problem solved: I bought a Raspberry Pi 3, a DT-830B digital multimeter and a computer fan. The cardboard box from the DT-830B is strong, made the case from it and on it added the computer fan with air holes cut in the case and power from 5V and GND on the Raspberry Pi 3's GPIO. There is enough space inside to add a 4700uF 16V electrolytic capacitor to smooth the power spikes and let the 2.5 A power supply adapt to them (with no drop in voltage). Also enough space to add a lithium battery and XL6009 based boost converter from ebay that can hold 3A easily and not get too hot.

Comment

They should start to manufacture it at 28nm rather than 40nm, maybe for RPi4?

Comment

Working...
                    X