Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Launches SQL Server For Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Launches SQL Server For Linux

Microsoft made many interesting open-source / Linux announcements last year and already in 2016 it's been interesting with Microsoft buying out Xamarin and continuing their open-source ambitions. Microsoft's latest announcement is the availability of their SQL Server for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has somebody asked for it? Who is going to buy this?

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
      Has somebody asked for it? Who is going to buy this?
      It's a migration path away from microsoft server OSes, I'm sure some people will find use for it.

Comment

Too little, too late. Instead of embracing Linux as server platform, Microsoft openly tried to kill it. Now people moved on Oracle, MySQL/PostgreSQL/NoSQL setups...sorry MS. You reap what you sow.
        On more practical node I see enterprise being happy about this, as they won't be forced to buy into Microsoft stuff just to get their database going.
        Last edited by Pecisk; 07 March 2016, 05:28 PM. Reason: Missed word

Comment

I was about to shout embrace extend and extinguish, but instead why not say welcome. If better alternatives exists this is simply not worth using so it will be exciting to see how it goes

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

It took long, but finally Microsoft is trying to poison Linux ecosystem from inside...

Comment

What they trying to accomplished?

Comment

What kind of calendar are they using? April 1 is still WEEKs away!

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
                  What they trying to accomplished?
                  they want to sell their software on dominant server platform

Comment

SQL databases have long been a commodity. Postgres is very high quality, feature loaded, high performance, and completely absolutely free and there are other high quality free options. The idea of having to buy licenses for a database product is pretty foreign to most developers and businesses.

I'm sure some people will use MSSQL on Linux, I'm sure this will have benefit for Microsoft in some way. Some C# features, AFAIK, only work out of the box with MSSQL and won't work easily or at all with something like Postgres... IMO, that's justification to just avoid C# and MSSQL.

Comment

Working...
                    X