Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Photos 3.20 Brings Non-Destructive Editing

Phoronix: GNOME Photos 3.20 Brings Non-Destructive Editing

The upcoming release of GNOME Photos 3.20 brings a number of improvements and new features for what was traditionally the GNOME image viewer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    for what was traditionally the GNOME image viewer...
    The traditional GNOME image viewer is EOG, not Photos. gnome-photos is a separate newer thing.

Comment

Good, so Gimp should follow soon. That was making me to prefer CS6 with wine.

Comment

I just tried this app and there are performances issues. I hope this is only because this is the first run

Comment

- The GEGL promise was real??
          - I used to wonder that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo-magical power holding together GIMP, Gnome, the users and the developers. Crazy thing is, it's true. GEGL, using it in other applications, all of it. It's all true.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_410_1457449965939_443[/ATTACH]

- The GEGL promise was real??
            - I used to wonder that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo-magical power holding together GIMP, Gnome, the users and the developers. Crazy thing is, it's true. GEGL, using it in other applications, all of it. It's all true.
            Don't go to a bridge with your son.. ok?

Comment

hmm the main problem of such solutions with non-destructive editing is that it hinders interoperability.

So if the only programm you use to access your files/images is this one tool, its fine. But lets say you have a nas, with all your pictures on it, and now you edit that crop it etc.... now you start your kodi in your living room, and try to access the picture folder. You get the unedited pictures.

So the only way to do that is to think of only a small part of pictures you want to access at this day, and then export that small part to a seperate folder a day or some time before you want to access them.

That is than a working solution but its not very easy to use, but the whole point of gnome-fotos is to be a app that is easy to use.

So we would need here a common backend that at least this both programms would understand, if not more then this two. either it is owncloud/webdav or its mediagoblin (is there a way to access it outside of the browser??) Piwigo or something else, as long as its not proprietary services from google and co.

So nice prototype but without that feature destructive editing is in 99% of the cases the better solution. For people that care about exporting and care much about keeping the original more professional solutions are the way to go anyway.

I doubt that the audience that want to open pictures exclusivly withh that one programm is very small.

I hope you can deactivate this non-destructive editing, (as nice in theory this feature is, its not compatible with a easy workflow at the moment).

Comment

Working...
              X