Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Servo Is Whooping The Other Browsers In Performance

Phoronix: Mozilla's Servo Is Whooping The Other Browsers In Performance

While the Rust-written Servo engine being developed by Mozilla is still experimental, Google's Jake Archibald has done a performance comparison of Servo against other engines and the results are mighty impressive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn Mozilla! Get some!

Comment

Yes!!! Let's fuck google for good!

Comment

Awesome! I just hope it doesn't take a million years to come out, like 4.0 did.

Comment

So... why the heck did they need to write a new language to write a new rendering engine, and not just write the rendering engine in C?

Comment

I just have learned about servo few weeks ago when I started to take a closer look at rust. Rust is a great language, I can recommend everyone to look at it.
            I'm glad to see servo is performing that well. I just hope it will find its way into some productive use "soonn"

droidhacker rust is not just for servo and it has some great advantages over C

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              So... why the heck did they need to write a new language to write a new rendering engine, and not just write the rendering engine in C?
              If I understand correctly, rust is "highly concurrent and highly safe", so likely for security and stability reasons.

Comment

Michael yep, it is using the WebRender engine, which is a render everything it cans through OpenGL, which makes it a little bit unfair to compare to the other browsers.

I asked on twitter what was the performance of servo's "normal" renderer, it was about 15fps IIRC

Comment

They invented a new language because C is not safe, it is easy to build security problems with C. It is also harder to build multi-threaded code with C.
                  Rust takes the best of all languages, it is fast, safe, multi-thread by default, with lots of features. If they manage to build a firefox using it and it works as planned, it will be much safer and faster than all other browsers... and it will prove that RUST can be used in big projects, specially if security is needed.
                  this is the way of mozilla leapfrog big pockets companies like google, microsoft and apple and fix several of the problems of the web in just one shot.

Comment

Here are some other demos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfnCaeLxSI

The presenter says that the first demo runs at about 300fps in servo as opposed to about 1fps in other browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X