Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Has Initial Support For Vulkan Running On Mir

Phoronix: Canonical Has Initial Support For Vulkan Running On Mir

The Mir team at Canonical now has initial support for Vulkan with their next-generation display project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, did you see how much everything flickered when the demo was run? Talk about early stuff.

I can't help but think this is utterly pointless. But hey, it's their time, it's no skin off my nose.

Comment

This is hopeless. Wasn't Mir at first supposed to come as default with ubuntu 13.10 before then getting delayed to 14.04 etc.? After all these years I thought they would at least be running the desktop in Mir by now.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        This is hopeless. Wasn't Mir at first supposed to come as default with ubuntu 13.10 before then getting delayed to 14.04 etc.? After all these years I thought they would at least be running the desktop in Mir by now.
        Surprised they haven't gone back to wayland yet, gnome is beating them to fully supporting wayland while they still haven't made Mir usable.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Surprised they haven't gone back to wayland yet, gnome is beating them to fully supporting wayland while they still haven't made Mir usable.
          Technically the phones run mir, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Technically the phones run mir, no?
            What do you mean technically? What phones? Plenty of phones have used wayland for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              What do you mean technically? What phones? Plenty of phones have used wayland for ages.
              All ubuntu phones since somewhere around 15.04 if i remember correctly. But yea you're right, wayland has been on phones way longer. Wayland was on the first version of tizen and have been in infotainment systems in cars for at least as long.

Comment

It would be better if this video is not shown to public, with all this horrible flickering and corruption.

Comment

Canonical's a pesky NIH corporation. Bazaar, launchpad, upstart, mir, zfs, ... they simply refuse to use standard technology that the rest of the Linux land is using.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    Canonical's a pesky NIH corporation. Bazaar, launchpad, upstart, mir, zfs, ... they simply refuse to use standard technology that the rest of the Linux land is using.
                    Canonical seem to want control and/or show off that they contributed something. Upstart was quite nice when it was started. The problem was persisting with the CLA requirement. Eventually systemd really overtook them and they couldn't catch up. Then they still really wanted to have Upstart also in Debian. That bit was really strange. Bazaar was also great when they switched to it. The exception in this list for me is Mir: weird from the start.

Comment

Working...
                    X