Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.265/HEVC Main 10 Decode Support Added To Radeon UVD Code

Phoronix: H.265/HEVC Main 10 Decode Support Added To Radeon UVD Code

AMD developers have today sent out patches for implementing HEVC Main 10 provide video decode support to the open-source RadeonSI UVD driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought tonga -read gcn 1.2- only supported 8bit hevc, or does it support in in hardware but just wasn't exposed?

Comment

Originally posted by monstercameron View Post
      I thought tonga -read gcn 1.2- only supported 8bit hevc, or does it support in in hardware but just wasn't exposed?
      gcn is the graphics core, and has nothing to do with video decode support. The UVD blocks determine that, and AMD has traditionally mixed and matched generations of UVD with different generations of shader cores. (In particular, integrated parts often get UVD a generation ahead of the shader cores)

I'd expect desktop parts to start including support starting with Polaris.

Comment

VP9 support is more interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
          VP9 support is more interesting to me.
          To me too, but is it possible to get hardware support?

Comment

Kano it's here finally.

Comment

Originally posted by deri View Post

To me too, but is it possible to get hardware support?
              of course, intel skylake supports 8bit vp9 hardware decoding, i think nvidia does too. Kaby lake will support 10bit h265 and 10bit vp9. Expect pascal and polaris to support 10bit for both of these too.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                of course, intel skylake supports 8bit vp9 hardware decoding[…]
                Afaik they do a hybrid acceleration (as in OpenCL helps) which is barely less stressful for the CPU and more or less useless. Kabylake will support real acceleration, that is right, do you have a source for VP9 10bit? Nvidia GM206 (960 and one or two others) support VP9 under Windows since a driver in Dec, it seems to be real acceleration, no hybrid crap.

Comment

So Stoney gets a new UVD compared to CZ. We should see that one in Polaris, too. Robert Hallock confirmed HEVC 4k 60 Hz decoding for Polaris in the AMA session.
                  I'm curious about Bristol Ridge. I thought it was just a rebranded CZ for AM4 but it is late and now supposed to be released not until Summit Ridge (Zen) is there. Maybe it will have the new UVD and other improvements, too...
                  Last edited by juno; 09 March 2016, 07:14 AM.

Comment

That's nice, but Intel added HEVC Main 10 for Kaby Lake (in VAAPI) long ago. Both chips are not available yet. Would like to see Nvidia with HEVC Main 10 support...

Comment

Working...
                    X