Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Releases Early Developer Preview Of "Android N"

Phoronix: Google Releases Early Developer Preview Of "Android N"

In a surprise move and while Android Marshmallow adoption isn't yet too great, the first developer preview release of Android N is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just curious - does it have Vulkan installed by default?

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
      Just curious - does it have Vulkan installed by default?

I believe that to be safe to assume (but only for the devices that support it). I mean I doubt samsung would be advertising vulkan on their latest phone for google to get left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

I believe that to be safe to assume (but only for the devices that support it). I mean I doubt samsung would be advertising vulkan on their latest phone for google to get left behind.

It's up to the individual manufacturers anyway. Without shipping a Vulkan driver there won't be any Vulkan on any version of Android. AFAIK Google wants to ship the Vulkan ICD Loader on all newer version of Android even if they don't have a driver. Samsung simply put the ICD Loader and their Vulkan Userland driver into their Android 6 Build.

Comment

Vulkan is supported since marshmallow.

But.. is it using openjdk already?

Comment

I wonder if Nexus 7 (2013) will get this. It got 6.0, but the older Nexus 7 (2012) didn't apparently.

Comment

doesnt surprise me bout Mashmallow. ALL IT IS, is another Lollipop release.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
                Vulkan is supported since marshmallow.

But.. is it using openjdk already?
                Why would openjdk make any sense ? ART is so much further thought out and optimized for mobile OpenJDK would be a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  In a surprise move...
                  Not really. Android is tracking linux LTS releases and their EOL for the sake of backporting patches and easing the overhead of device OEMs updates even if it's not official.
                  If Android devices are designed around 18month life-span while current linux kernel LTS releases offer around 2 years life span, then the short time that passed between 4.1 and 4.4 allowed for a small Android version.

This is not too different from Debian delaying their next release to sync with the next expected linux LTS release.

Edit: Note that device manufactures tend to piss all over Google's careful planning and often release outdated kernels without any regards to security since they're too lazy to update their drivers. Linaro is working on the problem with some OEMs but the smaller companies just don't care enough to bother.
                  Last edited by c117152; 09 March 2016, 05:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post

Why would openjdk make any sense ? ART is so much further thought out and optimized for mobile OpenJDK would be a joke.
                    Google will make OpenJDK better with time joining the other big companies developing OpenJDK.. and will finally get Java 8.
                    It's happening already..

Comment

Working...
                    X