Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PyPy 5.0 Brings Faster Performance, Lower Memory Use

Phoronix: PyPy 5.0 Brings Faster Performance, Lower Memory Use

PyPy 5.0 has been released today as the alternative Python interpreter and JIT compiler focused on performance and efficiency...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If PyPy is faster and leaner, why the python community don't drop CPython?

Comment

Because CPython is THE reference implementation of Python. Clean but not fast, easy to understand and port but not fast and never deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
        Guido doesn't want to

Comment

To my knowledge, pypy isn't compatible with all libraries or all hardware platforms. Also, it's not necessarily a better choice for all applications. If you have a pretty straight-forward script, cpython is better. If you have some number crunching to do or an infinite/indefinite loop, pypy is better.

Comment

s/profoiling/profiling

pypy has poor python3 support for starters

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              s/profoiling/profiling

pypy has poor python3 support for starters
              Their website claims compatibility with Python 3.2.5. This page goes over the differences: http://pypy.readthedocs.org/en/lates...fferences.html

I wasn't aware of any major incompatibility.

Comment

I hope that they bring the Python 3 support to at least 3.5 level considering that 3.2 has been dropped by pip: https://github.com/pypa/pip/commit/b...9d8ae4cf25282f

Comment

I have to add that PyPy is fast getting rid of the last few issues I had with it. Note that regular PyPy is 2.7.10 equivalent, and PyPy3 is 3.2.5 equivalent. I do wish they update PyPy3 to be atleast Python 3.3 compliant, as it was the first version of Py3 that was worth it to upgrade to.

Note that for Python 3.6 they are focusing a bit on performance as well, apparently you should expect a 5-20% average speedup there, which is always welcome :-)

There is 2 different performance projects that I saw, one that works on the VM, and another that implements an AST rewriting framework (finally, yay) which fixes common mistakes humans make that isn't incorrect just not optimal for performance reasons. Surprised that some of the performance improvements seem to come from MicroPython (which is a totally different implementation for microcontrollers)

Comment

Working...
                  X