Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Benchmarking Test Farm Is Down For A Few Days

Phoronix: The Linux Benchmarking Test Farm Is Down For A Few Days

Our 60+ Linux test systems will be down for a few days due to aforementioned plans for hopefully increasing the cooling efficiency of the basement server room, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good work/hobby

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      good work/hobby
      Thanks! Will also relay the message to the wife for her with doing the tile laying portion I don't mind ripping shit up, figuring out all of the logistics, mixing a mighty fine batch of mortar, cutting all the tile, etc, but she does a great job with applying the even layer of mortar, ensuring each tile is aligned properly, spaced correctly, etc, thanks to having more patience than I :/
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am strangely looking forward to seeing the cooling results of this!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          I am strangely looking forward to seeing the cooling results of this!
          Will certainly have many updates on the matter
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            These popular heating devices can be used also for cooling. Easier install than a new flooring.
            http://www.clima-eco.com/loja/ar-con...-ve-mono-split
            Unfortunately, it's not easier to install... I wish I was more familiar with split cooling systems one year ago but alas I was not. Due to the location of this room relative to the elevation, I can't simply install this against a wall as I would then have to penetrate a concrete wall. If trying to then route it through the joist from the floor above, then I would need to rip up a small part of the ceiling.... But that's not easy either since I would need to get power routed into that area and unfortunately there is no convenient location along a wall near a ceiling where I could fit such a split cooler and also get access to electricity. So unfortunately a new floor is easier to install.

Too bad I didn't solicit feedback ideas a year ago before starting all this work as the split cooling seems to be a lot more common in Europe and could have had more ideas at the time :/
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Are those devices similar to heat pumps?

Comment

Michael, it's not too late for you to actually cool your servers, albeit unorthodoxly. I guess I'm a bit of a tree hugger besides being a systems engineer, but I dislike the idea of cooling heat-generating equipment by using more energy than necessary.

I've been considering a DIY version of grcooling's carnotJet, essentially seal the sides and bottom of a rack after laying it down, fill with mineral oil and circulate it through a fan powered heat sink outside the building, something like http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-sinks/=11ivvvn. Size appropriately for the expected maximum wattage output and any future expansion.

You'll need to pay attention to disk mounting as spinning rust cannot be immersed (unless it's one of thos new-fangled helium things), but SSDs and the like certainly can. You will not need fans in your servers either, so figure out how to get their BIOS' not to trip up when they detect a lack of fan. You'll also need to pay attention to piping to ensure there are no air traps, but bleeding the system should handle that. What redundancies will you build in? How will you determine oil flow-rate, especially in the logging sense?

Benefits: minimal energy required to move heat to one large fan, much more efficient and quiet as a result. Mineral oil has a naturally higher-than-air dielectric constant, so your computing equipment may actually run a bit more efficiently because of no coronal effects on the PCBs. Should the pump or any other component fail, the oil-filled rack will have enough of a thermal reservoir of oil to keep your systems cool for at least an hour, by which time I hope you'll have been alerted to the failure.
                Last edited by free99; 13 March 2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

DeWalt?!?!?! You need some Bosch gear there Herr Laribel!

Comment

Working...
                  X