Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features Of Mozilla's Firefox 46 Beta Include GTK3 On Linux

Phoronix: Features Of Mozilla's Firefox 46 Beta Include GTK3 On Linux

For those sticking to Mozilla's stable channel, following this week's release of Firefox 45 was the public beta of Firefox 46.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Or more importantly... they might turn on Electrolysis. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis

Comment

I thought I'd be against it, but honestly it's come a LONG way since I last used it. It's pretty stable now. Also that AZP scrolling is godlike.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
        Or more importantly... they might turn on Electrolysis. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis
        No go for me currently, pentadactyl is still broken with it afaik.

Comment

wouldnt be surprised if threy Disable GTK3 again , mozilla cant make there mind up

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            wouldnt be surprised if threy Disable GTK3 again , mozilla cant make there mind up
            It's not that they can't make their minds but their GTK3 implementation is mostly broken under the upcoming gtk+ 3.20. Trying to mimic gtk3 themeing is not easy.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post

It's not that they can't make their minds but their GTK3 implementation is mostly broken under the upcoming gtk+ 3.20. Trying to mimic gtk3 themeing is not easy.
              IMO Mozilla are using the wrong GTK3 version to start off with, , they should be atleast using 3.16 if not 3.18 not some Buggy 3.4 version. an ya wonder why Mozilla are losing Market Share

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

IMO Mozilla are using the wrong GTK3 version to start off with, , they should be atleast using 3.16 if not 3.18 not some Buggy 3.4 version. an ya wonder why Mozilla are losing Market Share
                They don't statically link to gtk+ so the version they use doesn't matter. The issue is that they don't use native gtk widgets but instead try to mimic the gtk+ look by using gtk+ functions. This breaks every time gtk+ modifies themeing because it is only possible to support one themeing path at buildtime. This means if Firefox is to support gtk+ 3.20 without breaking support for 3.18, it will have to be a bucket of #ifdefs and only one version is supported at runtime.
                Native gtk+ applications are only moderately affected since the gtk+ theme (Adwaita, etc...) does most of the work.
                Libreoffice 5.2 will work around this by implementing native gtk+ widgets (5.1 mimics them).
                Last edited by Guest; 14 March 2016, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                  Seeing as the handful of plugins I do use are all incompatible, I'd rather they didn't.
                  (yeah, yeah, I know, it's not Mozilla responsibility to fix each plugin under the sun, but since it's their browser, I'd rather not break the ecosystem if they can help it)

Comment

No plan for qt?

Comment

Working...
                    X