Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting A Quad-Core ARMv7 For $14 Today Only

Phoronix: Getting A Quad-Core ARMv7 For $14 Today Only

Today only you can get a quad-core ARMv7 development board for less than $15 USD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's cheaper than a Pi Zero!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      blah blah blah..... ALLWINNER.
      Nope, not worth $0.14, let alone $14.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
        That's cheaper than a Pi Zero!
        How dare you? Rpi zero is $5 and it's the only platform that doesn't need flash, cables or shipping fees, thus $5 in total. In all comparisons I've seen, the others must include these extra costs but RPI happily runs without a PSU or SD card. For example the Orange Pi PC is hugely expensive with a 64GB UHS-2 card (90/90 MB/s I/O). RPI without an SD is much more affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

How dare you? Rpi zero is $5 and it's the only platform that doesn't need flash, cables or shipping fees, thus $5 in total. In all comparisons I've seen, the others must include these extra costs but RPI happily runs without a PSU or SD card. For example the Orange Pi PC is hugely expensive with a 64GB UHS-2 card (90/90 MB/s I/O). RPI without an SD is much more affordable.
          Where do you get a Pi Zero for $5 shipped? The lowest I've seen is 12.95 without shipping if you can find them at all. Also, you need miniHDMI to HDMI adapter, MicroUSB OTG to OTG adapters as well for the Pi Zero that you don't need for the Orange Pi. Both require microSD card. Pi Zero are still going for $20-30 shipped in most marketplaces.

Comment

At least Allwinner in the Orange Pi is marginally better than the AmLogic stuff in the ODROID boards. Think of AmLogic as Allwinner without sunxi. On my Orange Pi PC I can run a current kernel (some patching required for HDMI), my colleague's ODROID-C1 is still stuck at kernel 3.10.

Of course this is no comparison with the Rasberry Pi with its mainline kernel and mesa support, nothing else on the market comes close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              my colleague's ODROID-C1 is still stuck at kernel 3.10.
              Oh wow. I knew those boards were pretty much Linux-only (with limited or no support among BSDs) and that led me to choose a much older BeagleBone for a recent project instead. I didn't realise the situation was really *that* bad though, with only certain _versions_ of Linux working (and probably no easy way to rebuild/patch it), rather than the supported kernels that are part of a distribution with long-term support. So while the performance of many ODROID boards is spectacular, for some projects they'd be unsuitable because of this.

p.s. Hetzner have stopped selling ODROID XU4 servers without explanation. I wonder if it could be to do with stability of the hardware or of the kernel?
              Last edited by stevenc; 14 March 2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Nice deal, but, erm, loverpi does not delivers anywhere but USA - FAIL, FAIL, FAIL. Seems I have to try better shops searching for this board. Still, $14 for quad-core is quite a deal, too bad it seems to be temporary action, with long-term price being some less appealing $20 (which are still not that too bad).

droidhacker, come on, I would buy a bulk of these at $0.14 any day . Even $14 gives quite some headroom for fun and profit, btw. Even okay on $20. And as for Broadcom, it would NEVER, EVER get a blob-free boot sequence, to begin with. So it doomed to live with GPU blobs in boot sequence and stinky FAT32 partition. Not a big fun, to tell the least. Furthermore, broadcom is hardly better when it comes to mainline support. Its so freakin' nice to come up with RPi2 support in mainline when launching RPi3 which seems to be unsupported. So their timeline isn't much better of Allwinner, they do not have appealing development community like linux-sunxi, they are very closed-minded, you can't even buy broadcom SoC on open markets, not to mention releasing CAD files for PCB, etc. So overall, broadcom is good at marketing but nowhere equally good at engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by dsx724 View Post
                  Where do you get a Pi Zero for $5 shipped? The lowest I've seen is 12.95 without shipping if you can find them at all. Also, you need miniHDMI to HDMI adapter, MicroUSB OTG to OTG adapters as well for the Pi Zero that you don't need for the Orange Pi. Both require microSD card. Pi Zero are still going for $20-30 shipped in most marketplaces.
                  The post was pure sarcasm. People often compare apples with oranges. RPi without accessories and without shipping VS other board with extra costs. Of course it's cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                  X