Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CyanogenMod 13.0 Release 1 Now Available

Phoronix: CyanogenMod 13.0 Release 1 Now Available

CyanogenMod 13 Release 1 is now available as the Android community's first release based off Google's 6.0 Marshmallow release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, it supports a grand total of 39 devices. Always a weakness of CyanogenMod.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Officially. There are plenty of unofficial efforts that take that figure way higher. This includes my own ageing HTC Desire S.

Comment

Which is how many times more than AOSP itself?

Comment

There are dozens of third-party ports that are tightly tracking CM13. I think in a week or two the unofficial tally will reach over a 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            Officially. There are plenty of unofficial efforts that take that figure way higher. This includes my own ageing HTC Desire S.
            Incidentally, I have a Desire S lying around somewhere. I checked back in the days of CM10-11 and none of the builds were problem free (and we're talking non functional GPS level here). Have things improved since then?

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Which is how many times more than AOSP itself?
            Well, AOSP may well run on exactly zero phones, because I don't think it includes the necessary device drivers. It's the job of the packager/distributor to add the missing pieces which is what Cyanogen team is supposed to do. But since drivers are mostly closed source, if the manufacturer won't update them for newer Android versions, everyone is left out in the cold.
            Last edited by bug77; 16 March 2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Incidentally, I have a Desire S lying around somewhere. I checked back in the days of CM10-11 and none of the builds were problem free (and we're talking non functional GPS level here). Have things improved since then?
              The new "sagaopt" install gives it bags more space by putting /data on the SD card IIRC. No more running out of space after just a few apps. I also found CM12.1 to be a big performance improvement. I haven't tried CM13 yet but I get the impression it's even faster.

Backporting such new releases to such old hardware is never going to be perfect and you can hardly blame CyanogenMod for that. I've always found GPS on this phone to be flakey but not totally unusable. It's good enough to get a rough location on Google Maps but you might struggle when geocaching. Hopefully it's better in CM13. There has also been a nasty crash bug involving WebView that can affect many apps but I know the OpenDesire guys have tried really hard to fix this and it's something very low level, possibly related to the graphics driver. I generally work around it by using Opera Mini or Opera Mobile.

If you're a heavy user of this phone then stop being a cheapskate and buy something more recent. I only hang onto it because I'm a light user and it does what I need it to do, which is usually playing music through VLC while I'm driving.

Comment

Been using the nightly builds on my 2014 Moto G since a while now, little to no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  If you're a heavy user of this phone then stop being a cheapskate and buy something more recent. I only hang onto it because I'm a light user and it does what I need it to do, which is usually playing music through VLC while I'm driving.
                  Yeah, I moved on... I was just saying, people keep telling me about these "third-party ports", but they all come with issues only a tech-enthusiast would be willing to live with.
                  Fwiw, I think the Desire S was the best phone I ever owned. Metal casing, replaceable battery and SD card slot. Things that everyone says I can't have today on a flagship used to be available on mid-rangers.

Comment

Well, I see this from another perspective: when I buy a phone, I take care to choose one with great (expected) CM support. Having 39 devices to choose from, never made me feel very much constraint in my phone choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X