No announcement yet.

Tonga AMDGPU Performance On Ubuntu 16.04 Has 80~90%+ Performance Of Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonga AMDGPU Performance On Ubuntu 16.04 Has 80~90%+ Performance Of Catalyst

Phoronix: Tonga AMDGPU Performance On Ubuntu 16.04 Has 80~90%+ Performance Of Catalyst

Earlier this week was the How Ubuntu 16.04 Is Performing With AMDGPU/Radeon Graphics Compared To Ubuntu 14.04 With FGLRX, which showed off some interesting open-source Radeon Linux driver results but the Radeon R9 285 "Tonga" graphics card at the time couldn't be tested on Ubuntu 16.04's kernel due to a regression. That issue is fortunately now resolved in the latest Xenial Xerus kernel so here are those numbers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This looks promising and if AMD continues this trend, I'm going to buy my next graphics card from them. I only wish my Radeon HD 7950s support AMDGPU.

Comment

In a Nutshell:

In real games, it outperformed Catalyst, or, even when worse, perfectly playable.

RIP Catalyst, you will NOT be missed.

Comment

No more hope, now we have an awesome reality. R9 285 is a very reasonably priced card, and glad to see its working well with open drivers and major games.

Comment

R9-380 just 160eu on ebay. AMD goes for a great change.

Comment

This is good news.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Michael, how about boot times to desktop, amdgpu (3d acceleration enabled) vs catalyst?

hands down faster than Catalyst unless you have something seriously fucked up in your boot system since AMDGPU and Radeon provide instant 3D acceleration after modprobe is invoked and is a lot smaller too.

Btw is lot freaking faster if you boot directly to a pure wayland compositor which is basically instant.

In resume, FOSS drivers should always boot faster and easier than any blob driver and overall never should suppose more than 5% of your boot time, at least with systemd and ArchLinux, in fact Radeon+RadeonSI+gdm 3.20 is so fast on my Arch with a nice SSD that the loading text is not visible at all in the boot process after KMS kicks in, yeap just Mb Logo, Grub, Prekms kernel loading message, Bang GDM asking user

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

AMD Polaris might be available in April 2016, but the open-source drivers most likely won't support it. For those who want a GCN 1.2+ GPU, R9-380 and R9-385 will stay among the top AMD offerings for Linux gaming for the rest of year 2016. (This is my current opinion and I may be wrong.)
                Shouldn't the new, shared DRM mean that it'll have day one HARDWARE (gallium would still need to be worked on) support?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  In a Nutshell:

In real games, it outperformed Catalyst, or, even when worse, perfectly playable.

RIP Catalyst, you will NOT be missed.
                  Don't think catalyst is going anywhere, just fglrx; and that indeed will not be missed.

Originally posted by atomsymbol

AMD Polaris might be available in April 2016, but the open-source drivers most likely won't support it. For those who want a GCN 1.2+ GPU, R9-380 and R9-385 will stay among the top AMD offerings for Linux gaming for the rest of year 2016. (This is my current opinion and I may be wrong.)
                  It will probably be supported in kernel 4.7; if AMD are serious about linux though, we will get day 1 support for polaris (available to everyone through patches) If I see that level of support from AMD for polaris on linux, I'm there. I'm buyin it as soon as it hits the shelves.

They could also implement beta polaris support before it's release in the drivers. to get it to the community faster. I'm expecting polaris in may or june though, not april. April is a bit fast; nvidia might make it for an april launch window with pascal, although I think it matters being the first to release (or having a same-time release) for this market. First to market gets the first customers that have been eagerly avaiting HBM and whatnot; and there's plenty of them (everyone wants in on the VR train)
                  Last edited by rabcor; 17 March 2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

hands down faster than Catalyst unless you have something seriously fucked up in your boot system since AMDGPU and Radeon provide instant 3D acceleration after modprobe is invoked and is a lot smaller too.

Btw is lot freaking faster if you boot directly to a pure wayland compositor which is basically instant.

In resume, FOSS drivers should always boot faster and easier than any blob driver and overall never should suppose more than 5% of your boot time, at least with systemd and ArchLinux, in fact Radeon+RadeonSI+gdm 3.20 is so fast on my Arch with a nice SSD that the loading text is not visible at all in the boot process after KMS kicks in, yeap just Mb Logo, Grub, Prekms kernel loading message, Bang GDM asking user
                    You're not encrypting your system, are you?
                    If you are, can you explain how you managed such a fast boot?
                    Using Fedora 23 with haswell ultrabook and Samsung evo 850.

Comment

Working...
                    X