Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.9.6 Better Detects GPUs Using Mesa Drivers

Phoronix: Wine 1.9.6 Better Detects GPUs Using Mesa Drivers

Wine 1.9.6 was released this morning as the latest bi-weekly development release of Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In this wine version have some fixes related with 3dmark, some C++ issues and other like as cpu-z

Last edited by pinguinpc; 18 March 2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I never really thought about it, but with Wines total dependence on nvidia blobs non-standard behavior it's no wonder. The nvidia fanboys at wine have been worked real hard for years to ensure only the blob works. I think it's fantastic wine is open source, this type of news would be totally unheard of if it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        I never really thought about it, but with Wines total dependence on nvidia blobs non-standard behavior it's no wonder. The nvidia fanboys at wine have been worked real hard for years to ensure only the blob works. I think it's fantastic wine is open source, this type of news would be totally unheard of if it wasn't.

lol?! nvidia works better because their drivers are the best, in all platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

Unless if you happen to use any other product on linux besides nvidia's. And then it is plainly their tactics of enforcing behavior that cannot be defined that is the real problem. How could it be possible for AMD or Intel to emulate behavior that they have no means to do anything about? Then you've got wine devs and commercial games that only serve to exacerbate the root problem.

Comment

Tell that to the people using FOSS drivers.

Also, while their drivers are the best, apparently they're hardware isn't. Sucks for Microsoft that NVidia bullied them into making DX12 feature levels when it wasn't going to have them originally. Poor NVidia only had about 2 cards that fit the bill. Whoops.

Comment

My experience is the mature r600 radeon driver has been quite good for several years now... for running wine.

Comment

Since Ubuntu 16.04 won't use Catalyst or Crimson for AMD users, won't there be a good reason for Wine to finally include Gallium Nine. At least Wine Staging?

Comment

For disgrace amd stills needs much work, seriously them think about complete opengl (until 4.5) this year and maybe put more resources on opensource drivers

Maybe this situation change, one interesting example: doom 2016 shows performance improvement using async shaders with one important detail: doom 2016 use opengl

This is very interesting, async shaders out of DX12, maybe opensource devs must be think about how use this feature in existent apps* (Native or not)

However maybe test intel gpus in future, if intel launch another K models maybe with kibylake

Last edited by pinguinpc; 18 March 2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    Since Ubuntu 16.04 won't use Catalyst or Crimson for AMD users, won't there be a good reason for Wine to finally include Gallium Nine. At least Wine Staging?
                    Does wine-staging not? Could've sworn Fedora's wine(-staging) package supported gallium nine
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X