No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 1.9.6 Adds Initial Support For Vulkan Windows Programs On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 1.9.6 Adds Initial Support For Vulkan Windows Programs On Linux

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 1.9.6 Adds Initial Support For Vulkan Windows Programs On Linux

The Wine-Staging 1.9.6 release adds an experimental Vulkan wrapper for running Vulkan Windows binaries on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before people who hate wine crying about how this will be the downfall of linux gaming and wine needs to be immediately scrapped

Comment

I'm bummed they couldn't get CSMT upstreamed without more and more stuff breaking it, apparently ... it's actually essential in order to hit 60fps on some of the highest-end DX9 titles at higher resolutions and high settings in Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        In before people who hate wine crying about how this will be the downfall of linux gaming and wine needs to be immediately scrapped
        In before people make "in before" comments literally asking people to go against them...

This is a great thing for Wine. This is what Wine should have been all along, imo. It's so stupid to have giant DX->OGL libraries inside Wine (that still aren't even close to done after how many years?) to "decode" DirectX (even though "Wine is not an emulator"?) when support for DX9 and 11 should have been added to FOSS drivers ages ago. The Gallium-Nine project is one of my favorite projects, not because DirectX is awesome or better than OpenGL, but because we can. Why limit ourselves? Games aren't the only thing that uses DirectX and Wine would be so much better overall if all the devs had to focus on was system calls.

But alas, I am a heathen and I will surely get burned for this post

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          In before people make "in before" comments literally asking people to go against them...

This is a great thing for Wine. This is what Wine should have been all along, imo. It's so stupid to have giant DX->OGL libraries inside Wine (that still aren't even close to done after how many years?) to "decode" DirectX (even though "Wine is not an emulator"?) when support for DX9 and 11 should have been added to FOSS drivers ages ago. The Gallium-Nine project is one of my favorite projects, not because DirectX is awesome or better than OpenGL, but because we can. Why limit ourselves? Games aren't the only thing that uses DirectX and Wine would be so much better overall if all the devs had to focus on was system calls.

I fully agree with you. +1

Comment

Wine isn't an emulator, it's worse than one.
            Tried to play Dragon's Dogma in Wine and the performance was absolutely abysmal(DX9), went back to QEMU+GPU passthrough for a 5x speedup.

The DX9 implementation is horrible and its been worked on for years. I have no faith in DX11 being 'done' any time before 2020

Comment

[…] It's so stupid to have giant DX->OGL libraries inside Wine […]
              I completely agree with you. One thing is to handle calls and another thing to implement libraries. Wine should just forward calls in general, and Direct3D ones in particular. The Direct3D->OpenGL "translator" that Wine has bundled all this time should be a separate library, for those two things are different in nature, and tying them together only overcomplicates things. Then, Direct3D calls would resolve to either this monstrous "translator" (for drivers not offering a Direct3D interface, as i965) or the driver's native interface (currently Nine). Wine also implements the Windows API, which could as well be implemented aside from Wine. It just happens that programs using Direct3D or the Windows API are typically .exe, but that's just a coincidence. Ideally, if all those Windows interfaces were implemented as separate libraries, a Windows program could just be recompiled and run natively. Isn't that what cygwin does already? With cygwin, typical Linux programs are compiled as native Windows executables and their (Linux, POSIX) calls get translated by cygwin.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                Wine isn't an emulator, it's worse than one.
                Tried to play Dragon's Dogma in Wine and the performance was absolutely abysmal(DX9), went back to QEMU+GPU passthrough for a 5x speedup.

The DX9 implementation is horrible and its been worked on for years. I have no faith in DX11 being 'done' any time before 2020
                Gallium nine makes most games playable for me on wine. But I don't understand the need for Vulkan support. They should be focusing on DX10/11 and improving performance as CSMT is the only significant improvement the wine team have had in years.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post

Gallium nine makes most games playable for me on wine. But I don't understand the need for Vulkan support. They should be focusing on DX10/11 and improving performance as CSMT is the only significant improvement the wine team have had in years.
                  EA and DICE will use Vulkan for the Frostbite Engine but only for Windows... So Mass Effect Andromeda on Wine will run great.

Comment

It's so stupid to have giant DX->OGL libraries inside Wine
                    That's right. But DX->Vulkan, that's a completely different story.

Comment

Working...
                    X