No announcement yet.

Keystroke Fingerprinting Is Raising Concerns, Possible Kernel/Wayland Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keystroke Fingerprinting Is Raising Concerns, Possible Kernel/Wayland Solution

Phoronix: Keystroke Fingerprinting Is Raising Concerns, Possible Kernel/Wayland Solution

With companies like Google and Facebook having developed keystroke fingerprinting technology to identify users based upon how long they press keys on the keyboard and the time between key presses, this poses new challenges for those wanting to stay completely anonymous on the Internet. A developer is trying to come up with a solution down to the display server or kernel level...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Couldn't this introduce noticable input lag? (As if that wasn't bad enough already for some drivers) this feature would need to be something that can be toggled.

Comment

More about keystroke fingerprinting by Paul Moore here - https://paul.reviews/behavioral-prof...u-cant-change/ - he also developed a Chrome extension for this named KeyboardPrivacy.

You could run that extension if you use Chrome and see if you notice any delays. I haven't really noticed any delays to be honest.

Comment

Duh, just use NoScript, and avoid using websites like Facebook and Google. It's actually not hard.

Comment

I think that if somebody wants real anonymity surfing Internet using Tor Browser or other browser, he should not only set maximum security in TorButton's options, but also but also completely disable Javascript using about:config -> javascript.enabled = false.
          I know this is radical step and will break some websites, but in my opinion it is needed.

But I personally sometimes surf Internet/clearnet using Tor and not have need for real anonymity, so I have Javascript enabled. I just put this as side note/reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            Couldn't this introduce noticable input lag? (As if that wasn't bad enough already for some drivers) this feature would need to be something that can be toggled.
            Neah, it probably just adds a few ms tops. Stuff you won't notice.
            And then it get interesting to try to filter the real keystroke length by filtering out the noise introduced by the added random duration. And then we start crying that phones need more than 8 cores

Comment

Originally posted by coastiron View Post
              I think that if somebody wants real anonymity surfing Internet using Tor Browser or other browser, he should not only set maximum security in TorButton's options, but also but also completely disable Javascript using about:config -> javascript.enabled = false.
              I know this is radical step and will break some websites, but in my opinion it is needed.

But I personally sometimes surf Internet/clearnet using Tor and not have need for real anonymity, so I have Javascript enabled. I just put this as side note/reminder.
              Running without Javascript is unique enough to be a fingerprint by itself.

Comment

@Zan Lynx
                But:
                1. In Tor network this is not so uncommon
                2. If somebody wants to deanonimize you, she needs to connect yours real identity with pseudonyms/logins used through Tor network. Information that some user of Tor network is not using Javascript - I don't see way to help by this to connect real ID and pseudonyms.
                If you are not using JS in Tor Browser it does not mean that you are not using JS in other browsers, like Firefox, when you are not using Tor.

Javascript can expose a lot of things to web pages like:
                1. time
                2. battery info
                3. Fingerprint through rendering canvas
                4. fingerprint through behaviour of keyboard
                5. fingerprint through behaviour of mouse
                and so on
                and makes larger attack vector for vulnerabilities, exploits and makes some vulnerabilities exploitable at all
                Last edited by coastiron; 24 March 2016, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coastiron View Post
                  Javascript can expose a lot of things to web pages like:
                  a list of extensions installed in your browser, which is more than enough information to fingerprint an user.
                  as other people have said already... the solution to this problem is to use NoScript, or simply disable javascript.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
                    Duh, just use NoScript, and avoid using websites like Facebook and Google. It's actually not hard.
                    I would admit uBlockO and uMatrix addons, they work for both FF-based and Chrome-based things and are easy to use. I can also admit uBlockO (O for Original, due to storyline quirks XD) is also very lihtweight adblocker, unlike adblockplus and somesuch. Not to mention it lacks "acceptable ads" treachery and pages actually load faster and use less RAM with uBlockO, while adblockplus could easily slow down page loading (!!!).

Not to mention NoScript is a privacy intruder on their own. They have "WAN IP ∈ LAN" setting. How do you know they learn your WAN IP? NoScript is phoning home, learning how their server sees your IP. Needless to say it breaks privacy since browser phoning home to some 3rd party. Furthermore, they're fairly annoying with their ads on each and every update. To the date, uBlock and uMatrix are bullshit-free and easy to use. Furthermore, using uMatrix one can even filter browser's/addons "internal" activity, via "behind the scene" scope. This can break quite some things, but filters EVERYTHING, even browser's own attempts. Works best on FF-like things though, snice Chrome has got some "critical" URLs hardcoded, so one can't get complete rid of nasty google "services" in chrome-like browsers by add-ons, only patching source would help.
                    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 24 March 2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X