Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power-Saving FBC For Intel Skylake Is Still Baking On Linux

Phoronix: Power-Saving FBC For Intel Skylake Is Still Baking On Linux

While the Linux 4.6 kernel is enabling FBC and PSR by default in the Intel graphics driver, it's only for select generations of Intel hardware for these power-saving Frame-Buffer Compression and Panel Self Refresh features. With Intel Skylake, FBC support remains a work in progress...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder when they'll make DRI3 default at this point...

Comment

Or make skylake iris not crash, because fbc isnt very useful when the gpu cant be used: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=94161

Comment

Originally posted by zouboulou View Post
        Or make skylake iris not crash, because fbc isnt very useful when the gpu cant be used: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=94161
        This is very unfortunate! Especially as Dell is now selling the XPS 13 Developer Edition with Ubuntu installed from the factory on an i7 6560u with Iris graphics. I really wanted this, but a crash prone Linux laptop is no good...

Comment

An Intel NUC NUC6i5SYH is behaving well here with Ubuntu 16.04, the 4.5 daily kernel of 22 Mar from the kernel PPA, Mesa plus xorg-server and Intel driver from a Canonical staging PPA, and i915.enable_rc6=0. Without the kernel parameter, I see frequent, constant, display freezes and system crashes.

Windows 10 users seem to have it worse on these new NUC's, with complaints about BSOD's and incompatibilities with certain memory cards.

Unfortunately, Intel lists these little boxes as compatible with Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and OpenSuse. I can't find Intel's definition of "compatible", but there are more than a few posts on Intel forums from people who have tried and failed to use Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17.3 and other distributions of similar vintage. More than one expressed the sentiment that they bought a NUC specifically to run Linux, based on Intel's assertion about compatibility, that they were aware of Intel's kernel and driver contributions, and that they, therefore, expected Intel to have ensured that driver and kernel support for Linux was as adequate as Intel has ensured it is for Windows. That is not the case, of course, because open source does not work that way. But, there's no reason for people to be aware of that, so the experience of spending hundreds of dollars on hardware that doesn't work despite the vendor's assertions of "compatibility" will sour them on using Linux.

Comment

This does not sound good, it seems no Kanotix user hit that bug yet with Skylake, but those chips are not very common (for live test you need the Special ISO). GPU hangs could be the fault of mesa too however, pretty easy to trigger while testing Vulkan.

Comment

Working...
            X