Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FInal Beta Arrives Of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Phoronix: The FInal Beta Arrives Of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

The final beta was pushed out this morning for the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh good, eagerly waiting mint sarah plasma5 version, maybe next summer or so. Kubuntu has always been quite bloated and oddly unstable for me, while mint kde has been rock solid.

Comment

For anyone that has played with it, is it a major improvement over 14.04 LTS? Worth upgrading?

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        For anyone that has played with it, is it a major improvement over 14.04 LTS? Worth upgrading?
        Depends on what you mean by "improvement". It's a newer kernel with updated drivers, an updated DE stack, the works...
        It's not going to halve the memory usage or start magically doing things for you though.
        Last edited by bug77; 25 March 2016, 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

depends what you use. what you need, and your hardware

Comment

Yes. On my personal computers, having updated PulseAudio and Xserver are pretty nice (newer PA means I can use soxr and X means better performance). On my server, systemd, nginx mainline, and PHP 7 is also pretty neat.

Comment

I just installed the Ubuntu-Mate daily build from March 24 on a test machine yesterday (should be roughly the same as the final beta). The installer is still quite brittle. For example, it crashes when there are existing partitions on the disk (at least in some cases) even when you tell it to wipe the disk, and UEFI booting has never worked, as far as I can tell. Why they continue to use grub instead of systemd-boot is beyond me. I've never once had a problem with systemd-boot (formerly gummiboot) -- it's a completely deterministic install on every system I've tried it on, and I've tried it on a huge variety of servers and desktops. Anyway, booting to "Try Ubuntu Mate, running gdisk by hand, and wiping the partitions solved the install problem, and switching to BIOS boot and MBR grub install solved the boot issue.

One of the bigger changes should be the removal of upstart and a complete switchover to systemd, although I didn't actually check to make sure this happened. Once I resigned myself to using MBR instead of UEFI, the install of Ubuntu-Mate was quick and painless, and everything worked out of the box flawlessly on a Dell Optiplex. I particular like the new Software Boutique, which is kind of a nice touch for newish linux users.

Unless you're going to cobble together a custom Arch system or use Antergos, Ubuntu Mate is hands down the best distro available today and a no-brainer for non-expert linux users.
              Last edited by pgoetz; 25 March 2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I installed it today, works great, didnt encounter a single bug so far apart from newer Gnome 3 applications not integrating well with Unity visually, window controls on them look weird but that cant be helped much.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
                  UEFI booting has never worked, as far as I can tell.
                  From the installer I presume? My 14.04.4 install runs UEFI without issue, so it seems strange that 16.04 does not. But it is still beta I suppose.

Why they continue to use grub instead of systemd-boot is beyond me.
                  Grub works almost everywhere, provides the most flexibility and is a time-tested proven reliable solution. For example, can systemd generate a Xen paravirtualized DomU bootloader configuration compatible with pygrub (the most common Dom0-supported option for such guest types, including what AWS uses for PV guests)? For home use I'm very happy with rEFInd, but for paid sysadmin work I'll always stick with Grub.

I particular like the new Software Boutique, which is kind of a nice touch for newish linux users. Unless you're going to cobble together a custom Arch system or use Antergos, Ubuntu Mate is hands down the best distro available today and a no-brainer for non-expert linux users.
                  I just hope Canonical hasn't also infected Ubuntu Mate and other respins with spyware yet.

Comment

Ubuntu Server 16.04 installed fine on my MBR machine, Lubuntu 16.04 on another MBR machine, and Xubuntu 16.04 on all 3 of my UEFI machines. My install method involves wiping out the entire disk prior to installing though (sgdisk --zap-all on the UEFI machines, fdisk on MBR; really doesn't matter though as long as the disk is wiped) along with previous UEFI entries, so basically I installed to a completely clean system. No idea how well it would work when existing partitions exist.

So far, I haven't had any real issues on all 3 distros (Xubuntu had blueman crashing on startup, but I think that was fixed after an update).

Comment

Working...
                    X