Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC Lands Improvements To Chromecast Support

Phoronix: VLC Lands Improvements To Chromecast Support

While we continue to wait on the release of VLC 3, some improvements for the media player's support of Google's Chromecast devices have landed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That would be fantastic, because software support kind of cripples the Chromecast (wasn't it renamed to Google Cast recently?). I mean, Google's solutions are ok for streaming from the cloud or Google Play, but are absolutely hostile towards playing anything that's stored locally. Maybe third parties will be able to fill this gap.

Comment

yeah local support sucks. I use http://sidscast.com/ for playlist support, still limited formats. Anything outside of chrome just doesn't work well.

Comment

Great to see Cast support making it's way through the VLC code. One thing you guys can try in the meantime is Videostream. It's fast and easy, and allows you to cast media from a media source to your device either via a Chrome extension, or an available android app. Works very well, no complaints here.

Comment

Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post
          Great to see Cast support making it's way through the VLC code. One thing you guys can try in the meantime is Videostream. It's fast and easy, and allows you to cast media from a media source to your device either via a Chrome extension, or an available android app. Works very well, no complaints here.
          For the functionality I want, I would have to pay for premium. For something so minor if it was an one time charge of a dollar or so fine but IMHO not worth a new subscription.

Comment

Plex and Netflix support is pretty awesome with Chrome and Google Cast devices.

Comment

Working...
            X