Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OrangeFS Lands In Linux 4.6 Kernel

Phoronix: OrangeFS Lands In Linux 4.6 Kernel

A new file-system has been merged for the Linux 4.6 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some people may argue that Linux have too many filesystems... me on the other hand.... I love it! MORE MORE!!!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I'm not very good with file systems, I'm curious, how is OrangeFS different e.g. from ext4?

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        I'm not very good with file systems, I'm curious, how is OrangeFS different e.g. from ext4?
        ext4 is just a normal file system, it is what most would like to run.
        OrangeFS is a special-purpose file system for distributed and parallel computing, so its useful when you have many servers and many clients having access to the same files. Perhaps interesting to certain science projects and universities and big companies, but for most ordinary people it is not interesting.

Comment

Very interesting, I might actually use this later.

So it's basically a file-sharing centered file system right? For sharing files with one or more simultaneous users? Maybe would be nice to see some home file-sharing server (e.g. NAS server) uses for this file system in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

ext4 is just a normal file system, it is what most would like to run.
            OrangeFS is a special-purpose file system for distributed and parallel computing, so its useful when you have many servers and many clients having access to the same files. Perhaps interesting to certain science projects and universities and big companies, but for most ordinary people it is not interesting.
            So, it's RAID, right? Aren't BTRFS has already one built-in?

Comment

RAID is not supposed to be distributed. According to the article, this FS also works on a higher level than the block level where RAID lives.

Comment

I quite like the fact that, under Linux, you have a plethora of file-systems to choose from. Two different screws for every screwhole! You have the freedom of choice and solutions to various special use-cases. So this is welcome news!

Comment

RAID is just two physical disks in one computer then a way to utilize both either using mirroring or other modes.

But OrangeFS is distributed in that the file system is distributed on multiple disks over the network on different servers.

Comment

Distributed AND stateless?

MS Server 2012, eat your corrugated forehead out.

Comment

Working...
                    X