Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Computers In The Basement Without Fear Of Water

Phoronix: Running Computers In The Basement Without Fear Of Water

Recently when writing about the tiling work and other changes being done in the "basement server room", a Phoronix reader asked how I do so without being concerned of the basement flooding and destroying the 60+ computers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I live in a home close to the water level. So, when we get a heavy rainfall the sump pump gets really busy. I invested in a Tripp-Lite converter and a marine deep cell battery from FleetFarm and bingo, 8 hours backup if the power goes off. This gives me peace of mind when not at home to hear the alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by makitso View Post
      I live in a home close to the water level. So, when we get a heavy rainfall the sump pump gets really busy. I invested in a Tripp-Lite converter and a marine deep cell battery from FleetFarm and bingo, 8 hours backup if the power goes off. This gives me peace of mind when not at home to hear the alarm.
      For my sump pump I use a basement watchdog unit that's a dual pump (one is battery backup pump but the second pump can automatically engage too if the main pump isn't working fast enough) and so far that's been working out well.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Running Computers In The Basement Without Fear Of Water

im picturing a phobia-stricken basement-dwelling computer nerd

Comment

Originally posted by makitso View Post
          Interesting, mind sharing the Tripp Lite model you chose?

Comment

They make detection units that will shut off your water main as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post
              They make detection units that will shut off your water main as well.
              Yep, but more expensive, and at least around here the most common basement flooding issue is due to sump pump failing, which unfortunately no shutoff valve will help.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yep, but more expensive, and at least around here the most common basement flooding issue is due to sump pump failing, which unfortunately no shutoff valve will help.
                What is your procedure if the alarm goes off?
                Do you have a safety margin (in terms of height) for any electrical gear?

Also, speaking as an aussie - basements are weird. I don't think I have ever been in a house with one

Comment

I don't see anywhere that this has been addressed, but how about rather than sump overflowing, have you thought about *sewer backups*? That is where most significant DEPTH of basement flooding originates (aside from complete stupidity, like houses built on flood plains). An inch of water on the floor will dampen the wheels (feet?) of your racks. 4 feet of sewer backup will ruin *everything*.

As older single family homes on 50-60 foot lots get replaced with 15-foot-wide-townhouses and condo buildings (typically main streets), the older shit pipes tend to get overwhelmed. Add a nice spring storm into the mix and you have a bad situation threatening to go backwards into your basement.

Now there are a couple of ways of dealing with this; first is a one-way valve on the shit pipe as it exits the house. Unfortunately, there are places where this may not be LEGAL, so next up is option #2, which is to dig a sump near the building exit. You stick a tee into the sump and a one-way valve on the inside-side of the tee. If the sewer backs up, it blows out the tee into the sump, and in the sump, you have a... really big pump, that blasts out the front of your house onto the street. While it might be slightly bending the law to have a shit shooter on the front of your house, reality is that you can deal with that legality when it becomes a nuisance to somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                    Also, speaking as an aussie - basements are weird. I don't think I have ever been in a house with one
                    Basements are typically for cold climates in areas where bedrock is not at surface level. Their structural purpose is to connect the building's foundation down below the frost line. If you don't do that, then when the ground freezes, the house will shift all over the place and crumble. Their "comfort" purpose is to insulate or heat the floor.

Now you could also do that with columns hooking from the house down to the footing, but if you're going to go to the trouble of digging it out to pour the footing (which is below the frost line), then you might as well use the space.

Construction techniques are different everywhere in order to suit the particular climate. One of my places is in an area that mandates that all houses are built up on columns at least 10 feet off the ground. This is to give a space for water to flow under them in case of a storm surge

Comment

Working...
                    X