The First Skylake Motherboard To Fail Me: Goes Kaput After Just 4 Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Skylake Motherboard To Fail Me: Goes Kaput After Just 4 Months

Phoronix: The First Skylake Motherboard To Fail Me: Goes Kaput After Just 4 Months

Here's the first Skylake motherboard to have failed on me after just four months of daily benchmarking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was only a matter of time considering such weak vrm with low count of phases.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      After burning one MSI motherboard I have used motherboards from Asus. I think they are better quality. What do us citizens think about Asus motherboards?
      Their quality control isn't that good anymore. Most Asus boards work, but they have little problems like a fan header won't work or a sata port won't detect the drive plugged in. I stopped buying them. Lately I've had pretty good luck with Biostar I haven't had to RMA a board since then.

Comment

It would be nice if the "Clear Linux" link actually linked to the distro webpage. This is one constant annoyance with Phoronix. I understand wanting to make more money by baiting your own pages, but this kind of internal linking rather than to the real source really takes away from the value of the articles.

Comment

I was to looking to buy a GigaByte-mobo, considering they do not use UEFI.

Comment

I stopped buying Gigabyte boards due to stability issues. Also they used to advertise features the chipsets didn't provide, at least back in the days SIS chipsets were available.

Adam, if you don't want UEFI probably you will need an old board. And Gigabyte do use UEFI.

And UEFI is not bad. UEFI systems boot verry fast. Linux distributions these days support UEFI, maybe except for Secure boot. And that comes disabled by default on third party mobos.

Plus third party mobos comes with legacy BIOS support enable by default too, because among things for UEFI to work, your video card BIOS has to support it.
            Last edited by darkcoder; 27 March 2016, 08:37 PM.

Comment

And cheap boards probably are not good for long use sessions

Comment

The only motherboard I have die on my in last 10 years was due to liquid ingress. old motherboards just get retired. Had Asus/Gigabyte and MSI in the mix and all have worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

In this continental we have a different opinion on Asus motherboards, for example:
                  http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/M...listing_sort/9
                  Cool, If it works then use it, right?

Comment

In my list is best Asus, after that MSI and rest is i dont want to, but experience, board quality is maybe relative, but i can say lots about support quality and Bioses.

Comment

Working...
                    X