Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkano: Pairing Rust With Vulkan

Phoronix: Vulkano: Pairing Rust With Vulkan

While exploring the community game engines/projects making use of Vulkan over Easter, I also encountered another fun project: Vulkano...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate rust because it makes me feel using deprecated technology but it's waaaay too much effort to port my cpp14 codebase.

Comment

Tomaka has been working on this from day one.
      What's even nicer, compared to other programming languages implementations, with the help of the Rust type system it is actually memory safe and "thread"(Vulkan queues) safe.
      Tomaka makes sure that even the complicated synchronization between Vulkan Queues is made safe and efficient without users having to worry about it.

Comment

What if vulkan (API, spec, SDK, etc) were made in rust?
        WE CAN GO DEEPER
        kappa

Comment

Originally posted by Uramekus View Post
          What if vulkan (API, spec, SDK, etc) were made in rust?
          Easy. You would have thousands of people complaining that their language doesn't work natively with it.
          And if you then standardized on a C binding, you would have the current situation, except with less performance for most non-Rust programs and more restrictions on API design on the Rust side.
          As much as I love Rust, specifying an API in it is not a good solution for interoperability projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
            What's even nicer, compared to other programming languages implementations, with the help of the Rust type system it is actually memory safe and "thread"(Vulkan queues) safe.
            Tomaka makes sure that even the complicated synchronization between Vulkan Queues is made safe and efficient without users having to worry about it.
            Sounds like something that should be super easy to steal for Haskell's Vulkan bindings. After all, Haskell had been known for this kind of added safety via its type-system long before Rust came along ;-)

Comment

Well, Rust is clearly influenced by Haskell and functional programming in general. It's expression based and Traits, Enums and Pattern Matching all work in quite a similar fashion. That's what makes it as great as it is.

Comment

There's also Nvidia's C++11 binding, if someone's interested. Source is here.

Edit: thanks, Mystro256! The old link cannot be removed though...
                Last edited by yzsolt; 28 March 2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
                  There's also Nvidia's C++11 binding, if someone's interested.
                  Edit: this link insertion mechanism is stupid. Can I just select a piece of text and make it a link instead?
                  Hit the Advanced Editor, it's like an A with underline on the top right, then highlight text, and click the link icon (looks like a chain) to add an url to that text. Here is an example TESTTESTTEST

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                    Nobody gives a shit about rust and haskell. Stop with this hipster programming languages shit. C++ and Vulkan is the only binding that will be used.
                    Rust? Too young to be significant, by at least a few years.

Haskell?
                    Take Your drugs man. Its serious programming language for hardcore problems in CS. Distributed systems. Highly concurrent computing. Etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X