Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Has Already Seen More Than 75k Lines Of Code Added This Year

Phoronix: Mesa Has Already Seen More Than 75k Lines Of Code Added This Year

With Q1'16 quickly coming to a close, I ran some Git statistics on the Mesa repository this morning to see how things are ticking so far in 2016...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa 11.3 with r600 are still stuck at OpenGL 3.3 for SUMO/TURKS (Radeon 65xxG/66xxM) hybrid graphics, meaning I cannot upgrade to Xenial Xerus since I won't be able to play some OpenGL 4.1 games (DIRT Showdown, ...) without fglrx.

Hence, still many more lines are expected.

Comment

You can easyly play DiRT Showdown and Bioshock using: "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410 %command%" as startup command. You can add "DRI_PRIME=1 vblank_mode=0" too. Best used with DRI 3. DiRT Showdown works even with Sandy Bridge, but very slow, playable at 720p with Haswell.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I couldn't get it to work though.
        While DRI3 is enabled, and other games work, when going for OpenGL 4.1 either steam segfaults at launch or crashes later on or says "Unfortunately, your machine doesn't meet the full OpenGL 4.1 requirements" at game launch, or any other error I get when trying different things. I have all the latest packages (Oibaf, X-Staging, padoka ppas and even kernel 4.6-rc1)

It just works with fglrx, and without any kind of fiddling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Thanks for the tips.

While DRI3 is enabled, and other games work, when going for OpenGL 4.1 either steam segfaults at launch or crashes later on or says "Unfortunately, your machine doesn't meet the full OpenGL 4.1 requirements" at game launch, or any other error I get when trying different things. I have all the latest packages (Oibaf, X-Staging, padoka ppas and even kernel 4.6-rc1)

Yeah, you can't start steam with the override, Instead you have to right click on the game in steam and select properties, and then select set launch options. The over override should be set there.

EDIT: The reason r600 is still at 3.3 is because fp64 isn't implemented yet. I think someone is gonna have to develop a softfloat implementation for it. The actual extensions that games use won't be any different, it's just simply that you won't get haggled over gl version anymore.
          Last edited by duby229; 29 March 2016, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Thanks for the tips.

and you have to run this if you use newer than gcc 4.8 with mesa and steam

Code:

find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete
            source:

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

and you have to run this if you use newer than gcc 4.8 with mesa and steam

Code:
              find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete
              source:
              https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...dynamic_linker
              Not sure why Archlinux' wiki recommends deleting those libraries. You can easily LD_PRELOAD them as well.

Comment

Good idea, but i still just delete em. I rsync my steam install from one box (with Nvidia) to the next and delete that later to use OSS drivers (not needed for Intel).

Comment

Working...
                X