Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODROID-C2 ARM SBC Offers Great Performance For $40

Phoronix: ODROID-C2 ARM SBC Offers Great Performance For $40

Hardkernel's ODROID-C2 64-bit ARM single board computer retails for $40 USD and is powered by an Amlogic S905 SoC. While just a fraction more than a Raspberry Pi 3 or the Pine 64+ when factoring in shipping costs, there's very competitive performance out of this board with its four cores running up to 2.0GHz.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So Ubuntu 16.04, which is in beta, with a comparatively old 3.14 kernel? That seems odd. I would have expected 14.04 with 3.14.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      So Ubuntu 16.04, which is in beta, with a comparatively old 3.14 kernel? That seems odd. I would have expected 14.04 with 3.14.
      The ODROID is stuck at that kernel version number forever, because it so much wants to be a Pi ;-)

(Written on a Tegra 3 tablet forever bound to a 3.1 kernel... crap!)
      Last edited by Veto; 30 March 2016, 03:37 AM.

Comment

3.14 is the ODROID-C2 kernel, which is what Ubuntu has to use as there is no mainline support nor newer kernels available for the SoC.

Comment

I'd like to see iperf3 network bandwidth tests.
          (and the CPU utilization during the test which iperf3 provides)
          Last edited by linuxjacques; 29 March 2016, 02:30 PM. Reason: CPU utilization

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            3.14 is the ODROID-C2 kernel, which is what Ubuntu has to use as there is no mainline support nor newer kernels available for the SoC.
            Thanks. That by itself is enough to push me away from this. Admittedly, I don't have a good use for one anyway. But I prefer to have something that I can safely update without a lot of work.

Comment

This board sounds great, but will hold off on buying one until the mainline kernel of at least one Linux distro and at least one BSD works on it. It would have a short working life if it stays stuck with Linux 3.14 forever.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
                I'd like to see iperf3 network bandwidth tests.
                (and the CPU utilization during the test which iperf3 provides)
                New test profile contributions / patches are always welcome... Feel free to submit an iperf3 test profile against the Phoronix Test Suite / OpenBenchmarking.org. It's all open source.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  It's the same problem that the Pine64 has, and all the other boards: no decent support, so an older kernel was used.

Comment

RPI 3 has wifi built in. That is enough advantage to be had for the money. The performance difference does not make that much of a change.

Comment

Working...
                    X