Ubuntu's User-Space Ported To Run On Windows 10 By Canonical/Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's User-Space Ported To Run On Windows 10 By Canonical/Microsoft

Phoronix: Ubuntu's User-Space Ported To Run On Windows 10 By Canonical/Microsoft

Canonical and Microsoft have been working on a joint project the past few months of bringing the Ubuntu user-space to Windows 10 as an initiative for helping developers running this OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will we be able to run Wine?

Comment

Checking Calendar...OK, it's clear...

That must be the supposed big surprise from MicroShaft for that event :")

Comment

It's this somehting like a bad joke?
        Hey, you here's something that looks like Ubuntu which is pretty safe and secure, but actually that is a myth because everything you type or save on this computer will be sent without your consent to Microsoft.
        I don't get it, is Microsoft trying again with their shitty gechniques to trick Linux users to use Windows 10?

Comment

They want to make it easy for Unix devs to switch to Windows. Why? Most of the "hot" web developer tools are made for Mac/Linux, and have a highly degraded experience on Windows. Like Ruby, Node, Meteor and others.

This is actually smart, but will it really work? It will probably allow more web devs to get started, but i don't see a mass migration of current web devs.

Comment

"Canonical and Microsoft have been working on a joint project the past few months "

Just remove the word "project" and that is an accurate description of the situation.

Comment

Windows Store? So this is one of those universal apps nobody wants? Cool!

Comment

More Fing EEE. Damn!

That's it, Now I know truly that I hate Canonical. More and more bad news. Why does all the news have to be so terrible today? Just too many broken camels, maybe we should give them a break.
                Last edited by duby229; 30 March 2016, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Since it's open source they're integrating, I don't suppose they really needed to ask for Canonical's permission or cooperation, any more than Mint or the other umpteen zillion Ubuntu derivatives asked for permission.

Anyone who ever thought that MS would apply the GPL to Windows or give it up and release a Linux distribution is, well, nuts.

Microsoft is doing this for their own reasons because they see Linux as a significant enough player that they need to do it. This should be recognized as a Good Thing.

If this sort of thing is against your religion... oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
                    They want to make it easy for Unix devs to switch to Windows. Why? Most of the "hot" web developer tools are made for Mac/Linux, and have a highly degraded experience on Windows. Like Ruby, Node, Meteor and others.

This is actually smart, but will it really work? It will probably allow more web devs to get started, but i don't see a mass migration of current web devs.
                    I dont think web developers care for GCC either.

C/C++ Developers however really like gcc/clang and make, so you could see some cross plattform development go that way. eclipse can be a real pain to work with, QTCreator is pretty focused on QT (not to say "limited") and Visual Studio is a rather nice IDE (with a compiler thats a pain for standard compliant code).

Would likely try it, if this finds a way to Windows 7 (no Windows at Home for 2 years, but gonna have to change that)

Comment

Working...
                    X