Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.9.7 Has More Work On The D3D Command Stream, SM5 Shaders

Phoronix: Wine 1.9.7 Has More Work On The D3D Command Stream, SM5 Shaders

Wine 1.9.7 is now available as the latest bi-weekly development release of this program for running Windows programs on Linux and other operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now there is Shader Model 5.1 though.

How good is Wine these days? It's been a while since I have used it.

Back in the days most Windows software were coded against Win32 API, but now I guess most software is coded in the .NET Framework.

What do you miss in Wine?

Comment

As good as your video card drivers allow it to be. I'm interested in Wine running Windows Vulkan games and how that will perform, I know its controversial because you would ask the question why not make a native client for the game? but we know that some companies HATE LINUX and will refuse to support it, such as Bethesda/Fallout4.

If companies start using Vulkan because it works on older windows versions (where most the gamers are lets face it!) then it will mean easier work for Wine to get them running. Just my 2 cents. GTA5/FO4/Witcher3 are the games that keep me using windows allot.

Comment

If you want to run Vulkan apps you will need wine-staging.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          As good as your video card drivers allow it to be. I'm interested in Wine running Windows Vulkan games and how that will perform, I know its controversial because you would ask the question why not make a native client for the game? but we know that some companies HATE LINUX and will refuse to support it, such as Bethesda/Fallout4.

If companies start using Vulkan because it works on older windows versions (where most the gamers are lets face it!) then it will mean easier work for Wine to get them running. Just my 2 cents. GTA5/FO4/Witcher3 are the games that keep me using windows allot.
          Indeed, if more games used Vulkan, it wouldn't require the translation work needed for d3d.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Indeed, if more games used Vulkan, it wouldn't require the translation work needed for d3d.
            "If"....but they don't and won't ever. That's why Wine's D3D support is so important to Linux gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

"If"....but they don't and won't ever. That's why Wine's D3D support is so important to Linux gaming.
              I agree, we can't just sit and wait when they will support as, if they want to support as. We must finalize Gallium Nine and then develop "Ten" and "Eleven", why not based on an old one (that was here before the time was right).
              Last edited by artivision; 01 April 2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

I agree, we can't just sit and wait when they will support as, if they want to support as. We must finalize Gallium Nine and then develop "Ten" and "Eleven", why not based on an old one (that was here before the time was right).
                What's the point of 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

Most D3D11 games have D3D10 legacy support provided by DX11. If you don't have a D3D10 state tracker then you exclude RadeonHD 2-4 series and Nvidia pre-Fermi Cuda gpus.

Comment

In this wine version appears some changes related with double buffer, some example of this is one piece pirate warriors 3 begins work, maybe others too

Respect CMST maybe later add other tests

Last edited by pinguinpc; 01 April 2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X