Wobbly Windows Support & Other Post-Processing Effects For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbly Windows Support & Other Post-Processing Effects For Wayland

Phoronix: Wobbly Windows Support & Other Post-Processing Effects For Wayland

Samsung developers have been working on implementing client-side post processing effects for Wayland. This is to achieve similar effects like "wobbly windows" as were common to the Linux desktop going back many years with AIGLX / Compiz / Beryl...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that moment when you are at the pearly gates and jesus asks you what you did with your life... "wobbly windows"

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
      that moment when you are at the pearly gates and jesus asks you what you did with your life... "wobbly windows"
      Jesus? I thought Saint Peter was supposed to be the gatekeeper? ☺

Comment

I hope this dies in a fire.

Also, yes I realize this is probably just a side-effect of more important work on the compositing-side/other Wayland work.

Comment

Maybe check the posting date before.

April 1, 2016
          Wayland developers are already very reluctant adding protocol for stuff like screen capture so a protocol for wobbly windows is extremely unlikely and anyways makes no sense since the compositor is already free to do that without the need of a protocol...
          Last edited by Scias; 02 April 2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Awesome. This Wayland thing might amount to something after all
            Test signature

Comment

Maybe now johnc will be on board with Wayland.

Comment

Not sure if a joke or not...
                I'm pretty sure the compositor can already do wobbly windows without this protocol, else we wouldn't be able to drag windows around in general. Maybe I'm missing something?

Comment

While wobbly windows in itself may not be interesting there may be other things that would benefit from this. A few features I miss from Compiz was to desaturate all but the active window plus the expo stuff that was useful features and not just eyecandy....

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

So... one of the ideas for Wayland was to reduce the message trips, from application to X to window manager... and now they want to add extra steps...

Comment

Working...
                    X