Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.18.3 Has A DRI3/Present Fix To Avoid Eating Your CPU & Other Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.18.3 Has A DRI3/Present Fix To Avoid Eating Your CPU & Other Issues

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.18.3 Has A DRI3/Present Fix To Avoid Eating Your CPU & Other Issues

There still isn't any word on making the X.Org Server 1.19 release but xorg-server 1.18.3 was tagged this afternoon with a few fixes, including an important fix for DRI3's Present extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad Ubuntu still runs X.org Server with superuser privileges.

Comment

After testing DRI3 on Ubuntu 16.04 with Radeonsi I switched back to DRI2, it brought no performance difference but caused heavy flickering in Door Kickers. It's good that it's not the default yet on Ubuntu.

Comment

I'm abandoning the idea to install the April release of linux operating system. Then people wonder that steam linux gaming decreases.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          What popular distribution is not using xorg by default? Wayland is just for easier maintaining for developers, but now they have to maintain two application interfaces, very clever. As tests shows, wayland does not speed up kde or gnome3, only causes missing features and instability. Superuser privileges are for system safety.
          Wait, wouldn't it be more secure to run the X11 server with limited privileges?

Comment

What popular distribution is not using xorg by default? Wayland is just for easier maintaining for developers, but now they have to maintain two application interfaces, very clever. As tests shows, wayland does not speed up kde or gnome3, only causes missing features and instability. Superuser privileges are for system safety.
            I think that you have misunderstood. He is not talking about xorg vs wayland, but rather xorg as root, versus xorg as user. GDM (and perhaps SDDM) have the capacity to launch user sessions using xorg run as the user, if logind is available.

I do not know, we use 4G network, there is no attackers. There was not in 3G network either. With adsl our modem/router had 50 attacks per day.

Whether or not there are 4G or 3G attackers ... what?

IsBot() ?

Comment

Wayland is more about security and simplicity than speed... I mean if it makes it faster, good, but the aim is not for speed.
              Xorg really shouldn't be running as root if it doesn't need to, but this will become a non-issue if wayland is adopted (hence why fedora has stalled on this). These missing features and "instability" will be filled in due time.

Comment

Hahahaha! It's funny because it's stupid. Post again, sir. You've raised by spirits.

Comment

So 1.18.3 has fixes that 1.19 doesn't have? my head hurts.

Comment

There are no viruses for linux, you can have a firewall and 4G/3G networks does not have attackers, so wayland is typical xorg invention where time has passed by. I see that in some countries using 4G/3G is very expensive so people does not have any experience. I pay 14 euros/month for unlimited data 50Mbit/s connection. I have direct view to the base station, so both download and upload speed is 50Mbit/s.

The waiting time is long
                    I'm not even sure how to respond to this...

First of all: viruses don't exist on Linux? Whether or not that's true, viruses are not the only type of malicious software that exists on computers... and yes, malware does exist for Linux, and no, Linux is not free of attack vectors. XOrg introduces unnecessary attack vectors which cannot be always easily solved. Wayland is built this way from the ground up with security and simplicity. I have not personally looked into the XOrg source code myself, but I'm told its become a horrid un-maintainable mess (not my words).

Second: 4G/3G networks do not have attackers? Ha that's a joke. The type of network is practically irrelevant if you're connected to the internet, but this is irrelevant to what I'm talking about. There are other means of security to worry about than network security, including when software unintentionally does damage to your system due to bugs. As well there are many forms of malware that can get on your computer through other means than through these "attacks" you speak of.

Third: most problems with Wayland come down to software that runs on top of Wayland. Adopt is slow but steady and I don't see it dying anytime soon; Wayland will likely take over as the de facto standard that XOrg currently holds. Of course it's not ready yet, and sure it's going to take a while for it to get to the maturity of XOrg, but granted, XOrg has been around for a very long time. Wayland will eventually reach that maturity.

Comment

Working...
                    X