Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am Excited About Ubuntu Coming Atop Windows 10

Phoronix: I Am Excited About Ubuntu Coming Atop Windows 10

Now that a few days have passed since it was announced that Microsoft and Canonical had brought the Ubuntu user-space to run on Windows 10 and I've had more time to read about it, I remain excited about being able to run some Ubuntu user-space applications on Windows 10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what are you thinking about their Linux subsystem for Windows?

Oh, wow, a new version of Interix, this time with an even worse default shell. Now that's "new" and "exciting".

Comment

Now we can bitch about how Windows is an inferior platform for running Linux binaries. Awesome!

Comment

Being able to just install software the Debian (Ubuntu) way and run it without having to deal with a virtual machine is really a nice. I developed some image processing tools for my work and was always too lazy to port them to Windows, especially since doing so is a pain, even with mingw or cygwin. Now I will be able to point those who have to use Windows to the Ubuntu-on-Windows thingy. - Though I haven't seen whether it is already publicly available.

Comment

It should have been the other way around. Imagine Microsoft donating large portion of their code to WINE

Comment

I too am very interested to see benchmark results. I am otherwise wary of how this will turn out, and I have a feeling Canonical is going to screw us all over somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post
              Being able to just install software the Debian (Ubuntu) way and run it without having to deal with a virtual machine is really a nice.
              Check this out. It even comes with native Windows binaries.

Comment

I thought Ubuntu on Windows 10 was an April Fools - isn't it just cygwin anyway?

Comment

Of course windows users are excited about being able to run all this great software on their platform. However, I wonder what Ubuntu contributors think about their time/money being used to improve a competitor's product.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                    isn't it just cygwin anyway?
                    No, it's a new NT subsystem without an emulation layer.

Originally posted by cyrix View Post
                    Of course windows users are excited about being able to run all this great software on their platform.
                    Which software has not worked on Windows before?

Comment

Working...
                    X