Intel's Unreleased 3.0 X.Org Driver Gets More Fixes For DRI3/Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Unreleased 3.0 X.Org Driver Gets More Fixes For DRI3/Present

Phoronix: Intel's Unreleased 3.0 X.Org Driver Gets More Fixes For DRI3/Present

In addition to the X.Org Server still seeing DRI3 and Present extension fixes, the xf86-video-intel and xf86-video-ati DDX drivers for X.Org have also been seeing more DRI3/Present fixes recently...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Recently got rid of xf86-video-intel. No regrets
    This driver is bloated (UXA is fine, SNA is a big codebase barely maintainable by one person), full of...

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post
      Recently got rid of xf86-video-intel. No regrets
      OMG. Totem is working again! Thanks!

Comment

Well, my point in that reddit thread still stands - as long as modesetting does not properly synchronize prime offloading with dri3.

Incidentally the last 6 commits to xf86-video-intel are because of my problems using prime offloading with dri3 for minetest and it is still not completely fixed.

Well, using UXA instead of SNA might be a quicker workaround...

Comment

Not a lot of alternatives... xf86-video-intel is broken for me on Skylake (terminal cursor/highlights don't update properly, in both xterm and aterm), and modesetting is slow-as-molasses (with the wator screensaver demonstrating that quite aptly).

Comment

maybe they release v3.0 in the year of the Linux desktop - that could be either 2017 or 2018, or if we are unlucky any other year thereafter :-/!

Comment

i never had problems with sna but i agree they should make some stable snapshots, at least every year

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
                Not a lot of alternatives... xf86-video-intel is broken for me on Skylake (terminal cursor/highlights don't update properly, in both xterm and aterm), and modesetting is slow-as-molasses (with the wator screensaver demonstrating that quite aptly).

try to use the debian/ubuntu version, they have some patchs

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  try to use the debian/ubuntu version, they have some patchs
                  Yeah that's not gonna happen - distribution is not something that you change because it has some patches. I could take the patches they have and apply them to my tree, of course. However I doubt there's anything there that fixes these issues -- Chris (Wilson) was not able to quickly identify the issue, and my bug report has gone dormant... Dave (Airlie) wrote a patch to improve GLAMOR perf for modesetting, which helped but not enough.

Comment

I noticed that Arch recently removed DRI3 config details from their wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics

I think it was just leading to too many stability issues. Shame, because vsync is still broken under Gnome 3 / Intel DRI2...

Comment

Working...
                    X